Thursday, January 22, 2009

FRUSTRATED!

Right now I am SO fed up with our heating bill. We got a bill for $400 in the beginning of this month for last month's use and before we even paid that one, we got a $350 bill in the mail today. GIVE ME A BREAK! Yes, I realize we have a big house, but this is the sick part.... 1) Our heating system doesn't even go upstairs so we're paying this for downstairs alone, and 2) We keep our heat on 60 when we're not home and we try to use space heaters as much as possible while we are home. I can think of very few times that we have had our heat up for an extended period of time.

I called the propane people, thinking that this second bill was surely a glitch in their system, and they're like, "Well it's been really cold, unfortunately." I realize that it's been really cold but seriously... $750 is A LOT OF money for PROPANE. I seriously want to scream right now. The other thing that ticks me off is that our electric bill was $17 in December so we just got a whopping bill of $400 for electricity because apparently it's VERY hard to give us an accurate read each month. I tell ya!

Here's what really, really, really ticks me off: Because we are a hard working family, we are offered no assistance to help cover our enormous heating costs. Sure, the state issues grants and such, but we make too much money to have them reduce the cost of our heating and electricity. I'm not looking for handouts, but perhaps we should stop handing things out to people who refuse to work if we're not willing to hand things out to people that work VERY hard for their money. Does anyone else get frustrated by this or is it just me? I'm not saying that there aren't some cases where people really CAN'T work (like when they get laid off or when they have medical reasons), but what really gets me is when I see people (and KNOW people) who literally refuse to work and they have luxuries that I don't because our lovely government hands them things. If you are working and STILL need help, then I am thankful that our government helps you out. That's what the money should be there for, in my opinion.

If you don't hear from me again it's because I've turned into an icicle due to refusing to turn the heat on. UGH!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Don't be an icicle! Just come over to my house and we'll try to stay warm together.

Seriously, are you sure you don't have a leak or something? That seems AWFULLY steep for a heating bill. Ours isn't usually that much, but we use natural gas. I thought propane was supposed to be cheaper?