Monday, April 6, 2009

Oddities

I'm not really sure what's going on with my Brookie lately but some things are just off about her. I'm perplexed by some of her recent behaviors and it's killing me that I don't have all of the answers.

First of all, she is not going to sleep easily. We have been putting her down at her normal bedtime, 8, and for the last couple of nights she has fought going to sleep. Sunday night she was up several times before 11 and then she was up screaming hysterically at 3:30 in the morning. Last night she was fine, thankfully, but tonight she screamed/talked/sang/cried for about 2 hours. It's 10 and she is finally sleeping. What the heck???? I would be convinced that she had an ear infection or something but she was the model child today. When Brooke has an ear infection she does NOT act as wonderfully as she did today! I also would suggest that maybe she's cutting her two-year-molars but her gums aren't even swollen. I'm out of guesses here.

As I have said in previous posts, Brooke has now become extremely clingy to me when we're out and about. At home she is her happy, independent, goofy self but all bets are off once we're out. This whole issue makes going to church kind of difficult because she screams for me when I bring her to church nursery. My mom, who Brooke is very, very fond of, is one of her Sunday School teachers and Brooke STILL freaks out. I just don't get it.

Also, Brooke has taken on new fears of things that never bothered her.... For instance, the rides at the mall that she has enjoyed for ages now cause her to scream hysterically at just the sight of them. Why the sudden change of heart? That is just one of many examples.

I'm not really sure what the deal is with my girl but it makes me sad that she's "off." I feel like many of these issues are related to Adrienne, which totally makes sense. I also wonder how much of this pertains to John's new schedule. The transition has sure been difficult just because our lives are so different and I bet Brooke senses all of that.

I hope that I figure out how to make Brooke feel more at ease. It kills me that she's struggling in some areas and I know that this is just a phase but my mommy instinct tells me to FIX it! Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Alison said...

It's frustrating when the kiddos switch things up on us! I think Brooke is going through lots of transitions right now, the big girl bed, the new shift, and the new baby coming soon. Nathan went through a phase just before Jenna where he was a totally different kid. Hang in there...I hope she snaps back into shape soon for you!

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

Hudson is going through the same thing now and I have blamed it on the baby but it may just be the "terrible twos" that I have heard about. He's not sleeping and scared of weird things also. He is clinging to me like crazy too. It's really rough and I guess all we can do is go day by day with the Lord's help. The biggest thing is patience...which is hard!Just know that you're not alone in this!