Monday, April 20, 2009

Reverting Back to Babyhood

Man, I'm fried! Brooke used to be so independent and so seemingly "grown up," but lately, she's been acting like a baby to get my attention. She refuses to feed herself, she won't walk anywhere, especially if we're out of the house, and the list goes on and on. I know she's capable of doing SO much and the fact that she just isn't doing them anymore is a bit disheartening with Adrienne's arrival so close.

Another thing that she has been doing is coming up to me and saying, "Mommy, hold me like a baby." She'll sit in my arms and make baby noises and do this pretend cry. I'm not sure whether or not to play along with her during these times or to discourage it. It's so confusing being a mommy sometimes!

During this recent stage it's been easier for me to just do things for Brooke. If I encourage her to walk or feed herself or whatever, there's a big fight and anyone who has a toddler knows that temper tantrums are to be avoided at all costs. HOWEVER, I also know that I'm doing myself a big disservice by not teaching her to do a few things for herself because with a new baby I won't be able to cater to her every whim.

I'm not trying to make it seem like I want Brooke to be all grown up and that I don't want to do anything for her in light of the new baby. I hope nobody takes this as such a claim. I realize that she's still young and in need of lots of help and guidance. I'm also not trying to make her do something she can't do just yet... I just want to help her realize that there are things she is more than capable of, which will help me out big time!

She has been such a sweet and lovable little girl lately and just being around her gives me so much joy. Oddly enough, she's sleeping like absolute crap... Refusing to nap, lying in her bed wide awake for hours after we put her to bed at nighttime, AND waking up very early. This morning she even woke up with NO diaper on. Fun times. You would think that with all this non-sleeping that she would be a wreck but she's been the exact opposite. So weird.

I just wish I could get into Brooke's head and figure out what the heck she's thinking in there! I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed about how I'll handle a new baby in the midst of this phase but I know that the grace of God will keep me!

3 comments:

rccalyn said...

Aww, poor girl! I'm sure she doesn't realize why she's doing these odd things either! I wish I had some great advice for you. The big thing around here is Marissa LOVES anything "big girl". I'm sure you've tried that route, but I don't know what else to tell you! Hopefully she'll be so enamored with the new baby that she'll forget all about doing weird things :-)

Alison said...

I'm sure it's all a normal process of becoming a big sister. I think they realize the big change that is going to occur much more than they can articulate. I would just try to encourage the things you *know* she can do for herself and give grace when she refuses. It'll all work itself out soon!

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

It's tough but it will pass...Hudson did the same thing and I had very little patience about it especially because they finally start being so independent that it's a breath of fresh air. Then this happens...I know how you feel but you will make it! Just go day by day and be sure to give her lots of praise when she does do things by herself! Thats what helped me!