Monday, May 11, 2009

Blessed

Yesterday, as we all know, was Mothers' Day. John really is a wonderful, compassionate husband and he often recognizes and thanks me for being a mom to Brooke. Because of that, I didn't feel like yesterday was extraordinarily different from all other days but I still felt very special! Our trip to Lancaster was my big gift and then yesterday morning I woke up to a nice card from John and Brooke. We then spent our afternoon with family- First we had lunch with my family and then later John's family came over for a barbecue. I couldn't have asked for a nicer day!

As I was working around the house to prepare for our cookout yesterday, I thought to myself... "So THIS is what it is to be a mommy, huh?" See, in my pre-motherhood mindset, I thought that on Mothers' Day that all mothers should get to be queens and not be allowed to lift a finger. Much on the contrary, I found myself using Brooke's nap time yesterday to do laundry, mop the floors, dust, vacuum, cook, and scrub the toilets. As I folded Brooke's tiny clothes and hung up John's uniforms, it hit me... THIS is what it means to be a wife and mommy and I LOVE it. I love that my family depends on me to meet their needs around the home. I love that I am called to care for them and to ensure that they are clothed, fed, etc... That, to me, is motherhood at its best! My lone dream as a child and teenager was to be a mother and when I think that that has actually come into fruition, it reaffirms to me how much I love it!

On top of all of the other wonderful things that yesterday carried for me, I also had the privilege of feeling my precious, unborn baby kicking me like crazy. What a joy it is to be able to share those moments with Adrienne and for her to constantly remind me of her beautiful presence!

The sweetest sound of my day yesterday was hearing John and Brooke wrestling and laughing hysterically together. It has to be one of my greatest joys as a mother to watch the two of them adoring each other. Their relationship is so special and it puts the biggest smile on my face!

I am so blessed and I find myself growing more and more content with where I'm at in life. I could not have asked for a more wonderful husband and family!

Happy (belated) Mothers' Day to all of my fellow mommies out there!

No comments: