Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Last Minute Thoughts

I have a few things to jot down but I'm not sure if they'll make much sense at this point. I'll certainly try to arrange them nicely, though!

First of all, our day today didn't go quite according to plan. John's work desperately needed a deputy to stay on until 11 today and because John is the wonderful provider that he is, he agreed to do it. I was bummed at first because I just knew that our special day would be ruined by his lack of sleep, but he was so wonderful:-) My poor husband was so very tired but I could tell that he was fighting it so hard to make our day everything that we had hoped it would be. So, on absolutely NO sleep John managed to be a fun-loving daddy at Chuck E. Cheese and he didn't miss a beat! He also took me to get my eyebrows waxed, to Wal Mart, and to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. We had such an amazing day, despite the no sleep part for John.

In other news, John got a call from his lieutenant this afternoon, which is always scary. Remember the job that he had for 3 months at the county's mental health facility? Well, another deputy quit and because John is trained over there, he'll be over there for at least the month of June. Of course this is good for ME- John will be here at night and he'll have weekends off. BUT, it really stinks for him because he was really starting to adjust to the night shift and his body was finally cooperating. I think it's so unfair that they're switching him again, even though the schedule is ideal for me. Oh well, I guess we'll adjust again. We always do.

Now, here's a few words for my precious Brooke:

Dearest Brooke,

Tomorrow is the big day... Adrienne will arrive and you will become a big sister! I am so excited to see you as you meet her for the first time because I know that you will do great with her. You are always so kind a gentle around babies and I can only imagine how amazing of a sister you will be!

Mommy has loved these past two years that we have spent together. Because you were my first baby, you and I had countless hours of one-on-one time and those were precious moments for me. I vividly remember all of your firsts- Your first baby foods that you tasted (you hated most of them!), your first steps, your first word (which was "duck," by the way), your first tooth, and on and on the list goes. I want you to know that even though our family is growing tomorrow, I will still take every bit as much joy and pleasure in watching you succeed and thrive and I will always have enough love in my heart for you.

Thanks for all that you have taught me, baby. You helped me learn the "ropes" of motherhood by being my firstborn. Thanks to you, I know so much about caring for babies and I think that Adrienne will really appreciate that! You have also taught mommy so much about patience, selflessness, love and just life in general. Because of you, I see the world in a much different light. You have changed me in so many ways.

I'll admit that I am a little sad right now because I am about to change your life so much. Change is good but sometimes it's a little scary, too! I keep thinking about my sister, Aunt Alison, and how much I loved growing up with her and having her for my best friend. I hope that tomorrow that I'll be giving you what I had growing up... A sister who was there for me through everything and who I had more fun with than you could even begin to imagine. Before I know it, you and Adrienne will be buddies and I can't wait to watch you grow to love your sister like I love mine.

Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you, princess, and you will always be our baby, no matter how big you get or who comes into our lives. Never forget just how special you are and how much you mean to our family.

With all my love,

Mama

No comments: