Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Precious Moments

Brooke has been giving me a run for my money lately. She's just a very particular kid and we often argue about trivial things such as what shoes she'll wear, what bow she'll wear, whether or not she has a napkin or a paper towel, whether or not she has her snack in a plastic bag or a bowl, etc... It seems like lately she has been bucking me on EVERYTHING and while I know that this is her coming into her own, it's exhausting!

Today, I confess, was one of those days that brought tears to my eyes at several points. I know that me being 36 weeks pregnant and not sleeping well probably lessens my tolerance, but it's safe to say that my Brooke had me baffled by bedtime. Bedtime came and I will truly cherish the time that my daughter and I shared tonight. She wanted to look through her baby album instead of reading some bedtime stories so we did just that. We flipped through the pictures surrounding her birth and first few days home from the hospital and each time she saw herself she would laugh and say, "There I am again!" She was truly fascinated that she was once tiny and she wanted to know all about when she was in the hospital with mommy and daddy. We snuggled for a good half hour and laughed and talked while looking at pictures. It was also a really great way for me to explain a few things about Adrienne's birth and how she'll be when she first comes out. As I prayed with my little girl and tucked her into bed, tears filled my eyes. Those precious moments meant the universe to me and the reaffirmed my desire to be THE BEST mommy I can possibly be for my girls.

I beat myself up so much over motherhood. I'm not sure why I do this but I always have. Some days I feel like I'm Super Mom and like I could conquer the world of parenting, but on the long days that are filled with hurdles, I end up wishing I could push a rewind button and do things over the right way. Being a mom is so hard because as moms, we really DO want the very best things for our children and knowing that we will never achieve perfection for them is hard... Or at least it is for me. I am extremely thankful that God gave me an extra-special time with Brooke tonight that reminded me of how amazing being a mom really is!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Aww, how sweet! I'm so glad you guys had a special moment together. There are many more to come!