Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Little Gymnast

Today we started Brookie in gymnastics!! It's a mommy and me program so I get to participate with her, which is lots of fun. The session is every Tuesday from 10-10:30 so it will give us something to look forward to every week.

Brooke looked so cute- She had her little orange yoga pants on, Nike's, a T-shirt, and her up in a ponytail. She was definitely decked out in her finest work-out gear and she was so proud! I was disappointed because I didn't get a picture though. Man, I'm a bad mommy.

They had group time for the kids in the beginning where they taught them little exercises like a pike, curl, and a butterfly. The lady who taught it was very good with the kids and brought it down on their level really well. Brooke was hesitant at first but I helped her do the exercises and she did fine.

The rest of the class was free time... They had little uneven bars that the kids could hang on, a balance beam that was on the floor, this long trampoline that they could jump on, and a huge pit full of foam blocks. Most of the kids had been there before and they were going crazy and participating in everything. Even the kids who had never been there before were super into it. Then, there was Brooke. My Brooke, she's so hesitant and apprehensive to try new things. She likes to kind of sit back and observe before trying something new and she is VERY shy when she's in a new setting. I found myself 1) not being able to identify with her because I jump head first into just about everything, and 2) feeling sorry for her because she was in her own little world while everyone else played. I think that eventually she'll get the hang of it and she won't be afraid anymore. I'm hoping that this helps her learn a few more social skills, too. It's just her temperament and that's fine with me!

We leave for Cape May tomorrow so I have LOTS of packing to do. I HATE to pack so I better get my butt in gear and just get it out of the way already!

2 comments:

rccalyn said...

Awww, I bet she was so cute! Marissa was like that when I took her to her first gymnastics class. By the end of the classes, she was a pro though!

Alison said...

She is always a little bit hesitant at first, but I'm sure she'll perk right up when she gets used to the scene soon. She is so sweet and friendly, I'm sure she'll have tons of friends in no time!

Enjoy your vacation!