Saturday, September 12, 2009

What Happened to the Sanctity of Marriage?

I am sick of hearing the word "divorce" used so casually and freely in our society. Everywhere you look, divorce is seemingly taking a foothold on the majority of the marriages. I feel like people say, "I'm getting a divorce," as casually as they say, "I'm getting a new pair of shoes." Maybe that's the problem.... Maybe people think that spouses should be changed as frequently as shoes? It appears to be that way.

I hate it when I hear people saying, "We are just two people going in two different directions." Okay, I get that... I know what it's like to live with another person and have to make our two very different and unique ways of doing things somehow align. It's not always an easy task and though I love my husband with every ounce of my being, marriage still takes unending effort. A whole lot of people these days think that they can just look for the door when things get too choppy. It's like they really didn't mean it when they took the sacred vows of marriage. I realize that there are, in fact, Biblical grounds for divorce- Abuse or infidelity- but I don't think that having different ambitions or plans than your spouse should ever be reason to call it quits.

I despise how infidelity seems to be the norm in our society. There are women out there that actually allow their husbands to have mistresses. There are also marriages where couples mutually fool around with other couples because they feel as though this keeps their marriage fresh. I don't understand why couples cannot remain faithful to their spouses and why so many are willing to give up a loving, stable relationship for a night of passion. It makes me sick when I think about it. Sex was given to married couples by God to be one of the most beautiful, intimate expressions of love yet it's scoffed at by our society and has become so perverse.

It's hard to not allow the abuse of marriage not get to me. It's everywhere you look. Jon and Kate Gosselin, who claim to be Christians, just called it quits and one of them claimed, "We did it for our kids." Oh yes, because your children growing up without the security of their parents loving one another is the very best thing for them. How courageous of you. There are also reports of supposedly upstanding politicians who have been tangled in affairs. Does the name Bill Clinton ring a bell?

I grew up in a household where my parents told me that divorce will never be an option. My parents have been married for just under 34 years and they still radiate love for one another. They still hold hands and laugh together and I can tell that they just love nothing more than being together. It's refreshing and it motivates me in my own marriage. John's parents have also been married for about 30 years and they also are an encouragement to me. I am thankful that in a world of craziness that I have two sets of parents that have proven that it can be done!

While it's hard not to focus on the insanity of the world around me, I know that I just need to focus on John and me. As Joshua 24:15 says, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." I'm going to keep loving and respecting my husband like I know how to do and I am determined to divorce-proof my marriage. I am NOT going to disrespect the sanctity of marriage!

2 comments:

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

I soooo agree! I'm so thankful that Andy & I have both sets of parents to follow their examples as well. Marriage is hard at times...but we're in it for better or worse! Those aren't vowes anymore...they are just words you have to say at a wedding and that's so sad.

Tiff said...

I agree that marriage is taken so lightly nowadays. Heck, almost all of Rob's platoon is in the process of getting divorced, or are divorced. Or women that marry soldiers, and then run away with all their money when they deploy and/or cheat on them. Very very sad.