Saturday, November 22, 2008

Such A Loner

Sometimes I feel sad for Brooke because she prefers to be alone so much. I know it sounds weird because she's happy and that's just her preference much of the time, but I don't ever want her to not get the "grease" because she's not the "squeaky wheel." Do you know what I mean? Just because she doesn't demand attention (except from people she's SUPER comfortable with), doesn't mean that she doesn't need it.

For example, last night Brooke and I were invited over to eat dinner with some people from church. My parents were there with Nathan (because they were babysitting) and the couple was also watching their grandchild, who is a five-year-old little girl. The little girl set up her kid table and thought it would be fun to eat with Nathan and Brooke. I was thinking that it would be a HORRIBLE thing because Brooke would eat nothing and be up constantly, but she shocked the fire out of me and sat there the entire dinner and tons and tons of food. I was so proud of how well she did. Anyways, to get to my point, the two older kids got up and left Brooke and she was just sitting there eating her fish, totally unphased by the fact that the two kids left her. I, on the other hand, was heartbroken that she was sitting all alone, and ran over to join her. The whole rest of the night the other kids were running all over like crazy but Brooke was content to sit in the living room with her dolly and not join in on the fun with the other kids.

Today we were at Barnes and Noble so Brooke could enjoy the amazing area that they have for kids. Once we got there and saw that there were many other kids there, Brooke got really quiet and apprehensive about playing and it took some coaxing on my part to get her off of my leg! The other kids were running like wild animals and she was just happy to sit back and watch. When she finally started to play this one little girl kept taking Brooke's things from her and she just looked up at her with those big, blue eyes and said, "Here go!"

These are all cute stories, but because I'm such a type-A personality and am extremely outgoing, I have no idea what it feels like to be introverted or shy. John is the same as Brooke... He enjoys solitude and being alone sometimes. He's content to sit back and watch when he's in an unfamiliar situation. He has done great in life so I'm sure that Brooke will be just fine, even though she's reserved.

This also sounds weird, but I'm kind of concerned that baby #2 will be much more high maintenance than Brooke and command my attention more. Brooke was an easy, easy, EASY baby so I think I have it coming. Regardless, I never want my special little princess to be lost in the shuffle because she's so happy to be alone.

I realize my kid is only 21-months-old and I'm already worried about silly things like this. Everyone can laugh now! Lol! I just care so much about her and I never, ever want to think about her being sad. Something tells me that it's not going to get any easier...

2 comments:

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

I feel like that too often...you're not alone! One day in Hudson's Sunday school class they were told to take their seats and this one little girl goes "not over here Hudson this is for girls, not boys!" and Hudson adores this little girl and he didn't care, he just went somewhere else and sat down. :0( I was crushed!!!!!!

Anyways...I bet our second ones will be different. I fear that also!

Anonymous said...

At the risk of sounding like a no-it-all, try not to stress about it! She is an oldest child and oldest children tend to be more cautious. She is a well adjusted, beautiful little lady. Rejoice in knowing that she won't go home with a stranger.:)