Monday, November 3, 2008

Is This Normal?

Brooke seriously cracks me up! I don't understand what her deal is lately because she's now mispronouncing words that's she's properly pronounced for months. Here are some examples...

*Now instead of saying, "kisses," Brooke says "pisses." Lol! She walks up to people and says, "Blow piss." I suppose there are worse 4-letter-words, but still! She also substitutes "p" for the "c" sound in "coming," which she now pronounces "poming"

*She now says "bammy" instead of "Grammy," or "bampy," instead of "Grampy."

In addition to saying things differently, Brooke has also started to stutter a little bit too. I notice it a lot when she's excited, which helps me not get too concerned, but it's still weird because it's from out of nowhere. She's always been able to speak very well without getting flustered, so this is totally foreign to me. I said to her the other day, "Do you want to go to Nathan's house" She got very excited and said, "G-g-go Na-na-Nathan's house." It's little instances like that where I noticed this stuttering problem the most.

I'm reassured by the fact that Brooke can, with the exception of very few things, say anything she wants. She can articulate if she's hurt, hungry, thirsty, tired, etc... She also speaks in complete sentences and enunciates her words like a champ. On top of all of that, she's constantly learning to say new words and understand their meanings.

I guess what has me concerned is that I feel like we've backtracked... Why would she start to mix up words now, out of the blue? When that came along with the stuttering, I thought immediately, "Oh no! It's neurological." Lol! I always jump off the deep end first. I've done some research though and from what I've heard it seems pretty normal for kids to start to stutter and get confused a little at this age because they are learning so much so quickly.

Has anyone else dealt with these types of speech issues? While it's cute, it kind of makes me nervous that everything isn't okay!

2 comments:

rccalyn said...

Yup yup! Marissa randomly started stuttering recently. The last nanny job I had, the 2 yr old randomly started stuttering too, and the mom said it happened to her oldest when she was little too. They just get so excited that they can actually express their thoughts that they try to do it too fast! When Marissa gets stuck on something, I tell her to slow down and try again. She also changes how she pronounces words every once in a while. Definitely not something to worry about, in my opinion!

Tiff said...

Hey, the mispronouncing is completely normal, and right along her developmental path. I know it sounds weird, but true. I learned in my Cognitive Psychology class that toddlers will start out pronouncing things correctly, and then all of a sudden pronounce them incorrectly. I forget the reason (I took the class a couple years ago but this fact stuck out in my memory). So according to psychology it is normal, I just wish I remembered the reason why!