Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Chaos

I've been aloof these last couple of days because I've been busy cleaning and doing lots of prep work for Thanksgiving tomorrow. I'm hosting about 20 people (John's family) and am SO excited, but there is still so much to be done!

Yesterday I did all of the shopping (and trust me, I spent a small fortune) and then last night I made homemade pumpkin pies with Patty and the brine for the turkey. So far today I've wrestled with our 25-pound turkey to get it into the brining solution and made a pistachio encrusted cheese log for one of the appetizers tomorrow. I'm about to go downstairs and make Jello pretzel salad, cheesecakes, and then chop up all of many veggies to make my life more easy tomorrow. I also have to clean like crazy and do a bunch of stuff around the house, but that's so hard because every time I clean up a mess another one is made.

Tomorrow I have to make homemade yeast rolls, assemble my apple cranberry stuffing, make ALL of my appetizer trays (cheese and crackers with sausage and pepperoni, stuffed mushrooms, veggies and homemade dip, pickle/olive tray), set up the tables, peel lots of potatoes, make sweet potato casserole, etc,etc, etc... CRAZY! I'm thinking that I'm not going to be seeing much of the parade tomorrow but it's okay. I love to entertain and I'm so very excited! I'm also excited that John and I won't have to leave the house at all tomorrow and that we don't have to hop from relative to relative. YAY! I'll miss my family but they're coming over for dessert after their dinner so I'll be able to see them a bit.

I'm so anxious about my turkey. What if it's raw? What if it's burnt? What if it's not done on time? YIKES! I love cooking and feel very comfortable in the kitchen but turkeys are a mystery to me, as this is my first one. Wish me luck!

Alrighty, everyone have a great Thanksgiving! I'll be on tomorrow to write my list of what I'm thankful for. I don't want to lose sight of that in the midst of my crazy schedule of planning for the holiday!

No comments: