Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Working on my Attitude

I'm not going to lie... I have really, really struggled with the fact that Obama was elected as our president. When I look at that man I see a liberal, crowd-pleasing man who does not value or share my beliefs. However, when I saw John McCain, I didn't see the most Biblical or a perfect person, but I thought that his heroism, wisdom, and conservatism, plus his pro-choice stance, made him a wonderful candidate to be our nation's next president. The thought of being a citizen in a country where McCain was my president evoked a strong sense of pride and patriotism in me. In addition, I adored Sarah Palin and I simply could not get enough of her because she seemed so classy and educated, yet she was a plain old hockey mom. I thought she would have been a very charismatic and hard-working vice president. Now that this whole election process is over and the results were not in "my favor," I'm feeling kind of defeated.

I'm worried for our nation's future.... We have pulled so far away from God as it is, and I can't imagine what a non-Godly, liberal president will do. What scares me the most is that Obama is not supportive of Israel, God's chosen people. The USA has always supported Israel and I think that's why God's hand has remained on us... I fear what the repercussions will be of our country NOT supporting Israel. I'm also worried about gay rights, abortion, the economy, our coal industry, etc... I could go on and on about the things that frighten me. Really and truly, I could.

I was really touched tonight, though, when I was talking to Luke (my brother-and-law) and Patty (my mother-in-law) about these things. Luke reminded me that nobody but nobody comes into power with God ordaining it. God is not surprised, He is not shaken, and He is not moved. Why? Because He willed this to happen. Luke told me to meditate on that and to thank God for being the sovereign, in-control God that He is. As for Patty, she encouraged me to pray for Obama. Pray for Obama? That's something that I never really considered, sadly. Patty said, and I agree, that we cannot put it past God to change Obama's heart. I am going to commit to praying for him every single day and I hope that many other Christian's join me in this!

Whenever I start to let my attitude deteriorate or think negative thoughts, I'm going to remind myself of God's perfect plan and the promises in His word. After all, it's better than complaining and worrying, right?

No comments: