Saturday, November 29, 2008

Christmas Frustrations

I am a Christmas fanatic. Seriously... I'm a freak about Christmas movies, music, cookies, decorating, lights, caroling, etc... And do you know what? I think I own more Christmas socks than anyone I know (Thanks to John) :-) It's a wonderful, beautiful holiday and each year after it's over I get sad. I'm also one of those people that starts to celebrate super early and I usually annoy people by listening to Christmas music in late September.

HOWEVER, I'm sick and gosh darned tired of the way that our society "perverts" the birthday of the King of Kings. It's all about rushing out to get the best deal on stupid gifts or going into debt to buy presents for everyone and their brother. In my opinion, it's ridiculous. Did you hear that a Wal Mart employee in LA was actually killed on Black Friday because all of these eager shoppers plowed over him???? I happen to wonder if that makes Jesus sad that His birthday has been tainted so badly. This is not what Christmas is about.

I wish that I didn't have to support the stores during Christmas time, but unfortunately, I can't boycott this disturbing interpretation of the holiday because it would only hurt the people I buy for. I would be completely happy if I didn't have to give or receive a single present on Christmas... All I want is to enjoy the season for the miracle of Christ's birth and enjoy this special time of year without the hectic stress of shopping for so many people.

I assure you that I, of all people, am not a Scrooge... I just want Christmas to be a time of joy and not about stress. A song from my childhood comes to mind...

Come on, ring those bells,
Light the Christmas tree,
Jesus is the King
Born for you and me!
Come on, ring those bells,
Everybody say, "Jesus we remember it's your birthday!"


My goal is to remember Jesus' birthday in the midst of all of the holiday chaos. After all, just because the world doesn't seem to remember, why should I stop too?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was reading some of your blogs and I wanted to comment on something from an older post. You wrote about your daughter smacking you in the face and then you slapping her hand until she said she was sorry. While it obviously was not child abuse, I just want you to know that you are sending a mixed message. Think about it You are saying "Don't hit mommy, but if you do, mommy will hit you to teach you it is wrong." I have a two year old and I have never hit her. Yes she disobeys and throws tantrums, but how can I teach her to be kind and touch others gently if I am going to smack or spank her when she does not follow the rules? Try using words and lead by example.