Monday, October 13, 2008

All Done Nursing?

I never, ever thought that I, of all people, would be an extended nurser. I always knew that I wanted to nurse Brooke and wean her on her own terms, but I never envisioned 20 months worth of nursing! Honestly, now that it looks like we're done, I'm so, so proud that I held on for 20 months. It wasn't always very easy (especially in the beginning) but the breastfeeding relationship between Brookie and me has been amazing.

For a few reasons, over the past couple weeks I have felt that it's time to wean Brooke of her last feeding. She's been weaned down to the the morning feeding for probably about 5 months now. It's been the hardest feeding for me to part with because 1) it's extrememly emotional for me to think about this special thing we do being over, and 2) there's not greater way to start off the day than to snuggle and nurse with my princess. I was really torn and I didn't know what to do so I just prayed about it and told God that I needed help! Then this happened... Saturday she woke up at 8:30 and was super happy so she didn't ask to nurse. Sunday she woke up at 7:30 (while I was getting ready for church) and she didn't ask nurse. Finally, this morning she woke up arond 7:45 and didn't ask to nurse. It just kind of happened. Who knows though, tomorrow morning she might wake up at 6 and ask to nurse and I'll be pretty tempted to give in!! Something tells me I should stick with it though... :-(

It's odd because yesterday afternoon Brooke woke up from her nap and I was resting so John put her in bed with me. She looked at me and asked to nurse, which is typical for her immediately after waking up. I told her that she couldn't nurse because she was a big girl and then she look at her stuffed lamb that she was carrying and said, "Lamby nurse!" So yes, I had to pretend to nurse lamby and then she took a turn pretending also and all was well in the world. Today, the same exact thing happened, except Brooke didn't even mention the word "nurse" and was content to snuggle on my chest and relax with me. That's what makes me think that we're done.

I'm not as emotional about this as I thought I would be. A few months ago I thought she was done and I was absolutely hysterical but I'm pretty much fine this time around. I think I've had time to prepare myself for the end of nursing and I'm so extremely grateful for the hours upon hours of time we've spent together nursing.

All I have to ask is HOW DID MY BABY GET SO BIG?????? It's so fun to watch but man, they grow up way too quickly!

No comments: