Tuesday, December 30, 2008

One Sleepless Night

Last night was the WORST NIGHT EVER. Holy cow! My happy, seemingly-healthy little girl went to bed at 8:30 but that was certainly NOT the last I saw of her. Here's how our wonderful (HA) night unfolded:

- She woke up around 10:30 screaming hysterically and was pretty much inconsolable. She laid on my chest and rested, dozing off for a few minutes here and there. John usually gets home around 11:30 so my intention was to snuggle with her until then and then put her back in her crib. Well, unfortunately, when John got home she wanted NOTHING in the universe but to lay on her daddy's chest and every time we tried to put her back in her crib she would freak. Because she's a great sleeper and it's never and issue in our house, we let her sleep with us. We all fell asleep around 12:30 or so...

- At 1, I woke up to Brooke coughing really hard. Suddenly the coughing turned in vomiting. FUN! Luckily I spared our bed and our sheets of Brookie throw up, which is awesome. After getting cleaned up and consoling the poor girl, we all tried to go back to sleep. I didn't sleep well because I was on "high alert" for throw up. Seriously, every time the kid coughed I would get a towel ready to catch potential throw up. Thankfully there was none to catch the rest of the night!

- At 3:30 Brooke woke up screaming and shaking. I kissed her and she was burning up. My poor baby! I gave her Ibuprofen but it took both of us a long while to fall back asleep. She started doing this twitching thing so I sat there awake, just petrified that she would have a febrile seizure. Oh, the life of a mother!

-From 7- 7:30 Brooke was screaming again. I'm not sure what that was all about because she fell back asleep until 10 after that.

I am so confused because we've had a really good, "normal" day today. There hasn't been another fever, dirty diaper, throw up-incident, or grumpiness and she's had a great appetite and everything. This is how last night ended too, though, so I'm kind of nervous about tonight. WISH ME LUCK! I seriously NEED sleep so bad!

On a more positive note, this is John's very last night on the evening shift. Amazing, huh? I got through it and I surprised myself by really finding ways to enjoy it. I'm proud of my progress, if I do say so myself:-) The better news is that John will be working (drum roll, please).... THE DAY SHIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The county's human health services building is always staffed with two deputies for safety purposes and John's one that they're putting in that position. The hours for this shift are 7:30-4, Monday through Friday, and he gets holidays, nights, and weekends OFF! So exciting! This is a 6-month rotation so he'll be over there until the end of June. Not too shabby, huh? John's never worked in one building all day long like this... He's used to being on the road patrolling, making arrests, etc, so I'm just praying that he won't go crazy being couped up.

I took all of my Christmas decorations down tonight, mopped all of the floors with my beloved new Wonder Mop (which has transformed my whole life! Lol) , and vacuumed so I think I deserve to curl up in bed with my Fun Dip (my nightly addiction) and wait for my husband to get home! It's a deal!


Anonymous said...

The day shift!!! Wow!! I am so happy for you. Too bad it wasn't a permanent thing. You are going to have so much fun I am sure of it. I am so sorry to read about Brooke's illness. I pray that you don't end up with it too! I hope the princess is feeling better!!!! ~Tammy

rccalyn said...

Yuck for a miserable night! I hope things get back to normal soon! And YAY for the day shift! That will be so nice for your family to spend evenings and weekends together on a regular basis!