Friday, October 5, 2007

2 Steps Forward, 10 Steps Back

I am so frustrated and frazzled right now. Brooke has now reverted back to her ways of not napping. I don't know what to do! I'm really annoyed about this because I worked tirelessly for a week to create a schedule for her and now, suddenly she's defied it all. Just when I thought that we had gotten somewhere, little Miss Brooke went and threw a curve ball and switched it ALL up. Isn't that motherhood though?

She has been so cranky and grouchy over these last few days and I contribute about 95 percent of it to her not napping. I know she's exhausted because she rubs her eyes constantly and she is acting completely delirious at times. I also know that she's teething but she really hasn't been acting bothered by that except for that one day that I mentioned in a previous post.

She won't even nap in my arms anymore. She'll nurse and instead of falling asleep she'll sit there and try to wiggle her way out my arms. I don't understand why she would rather get down and be exhausted than get some rest. To add to my frustration, if she does happen to fall asleep, when I go to put her in her crib she wakes up immediately after I do so.

She's also been waking up EXTREMELY early in the mornings. She used to always sleep until at least 9 or 9:30 no matter when she went to bed. Now she's waking me up at 7 O'clock and ready to go. The other morning she woke up at 7 and refused to go back to sleep for even a nap until 1. She was so fussy and miserable that I was really struggling. She didn't want to put down or eat, all she wanted to do was fuss. Finally I took her in the car and went for a ride. She fell asleep which is great, but she cannot be dependent on a car ride to make her take a nap. My brain's just so fried about this!

I did read that when a baby is discovering new things he or she is very fussy and difficult because they constantly want to be exploring their new found world. Perhaps that's it? Brooke is standing up on every imaginable surface and cruising everywhere. Maybe her curiosity is just so great that she can't take her mind off of it to take a nap? I don't know. Maybe there is some valid truth to what I read.

I can't even put her in her crib and let her fuss or cry for a few minutes because now John sleeps all day. Her room is right next to our bedroom and I don't want John to miss out on sleep. Which is worse.. A grumpy baby or a grumpy husband?? Lol! He keeps telling me over and over again that I don't have to walk on eggshells while he's sleeping, but still, I want to give him the proper respect!

All I know is that Brooke NEEDS naps. She's miserable without them and I also depend on those times to do laundry and prepare dinner. She is such an active baby and she's into everything imaginable so I also need her naps to unwind and actually sit down for a minute. I just want to do what best for Brooke and I guess that's why I'm going crazy over this! I sure hope that I figure something out soon because I really don't want Brookie to be so sleepy and grouchy anymore!

No comments: