Friday, October 19, 2007

An Almost Catastropic Day in the Kitchen

I don't know about anyone else, but I do the majority of my housework with a baby holding onto my leg. It seems like everywhere I am is where Brooke wants to be. She's not satisfied unless she's right in the middle of whatever I have going on.

Tonight as I was making dinner, it was the same thing as usual... Brooke was right under my feet. I was cooking on the stove and she was between my legs looking at her reflection in the oven. I was trying to hurry up because dinner was running late and we were starving. I went to reach for something on the counter and I accidentally knocked the scorching hot pan of meat off of the burner. I came literally inches away from dropping the entire pan and its contents all over Brooke. We were having cheese steaks (Friday night dinners are usually something crappy like that) and I hadn't yet drained all of the nasty grease out of them yet. So not only would Brooke have been scalded by the pan and meat, but the grease would have most likely covered her tiny little body.

I know that nothing actually happened but I'm not exaggerating when I say that it was a VERY close call. If I hadn't have caught the pan we would be in the ER right now with some pretty severe burn wounds on Brooke. I'm still shaking as I think about it because it scared the living daylights out of me. I'm so thankful to God that He protected Brooke and that He didn't allow the pan to fall.

Times like these are times when I feel inadequate to be a mom. Here I am the woman who is supposed to make sure that Brooke doesn't get hurt, and I was very close to being the person who inflicted harm upon her. Man, I just can't stop picturing Brookie getting hurt like she almost did tonight. My heart just breaks for almost doing that to her.

Needless to say, next time I will be MUCH more careful. I will slow down... Even if it means dinner will be a few minutes late.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jillian!
I decided to see how things are with you so I read your blog! Hmm.. not many comments but here's one! =)
I hope you guys are great! See you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

PS - Cheese steaks are great and with the way you make them, I bet they are delicious!!