Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Best Things in Life are FREE!

Brooke and I spent our Saturday afternoon cooped up in the house. We had absolutely nothing to do and it was a rainy, dreary day. While it was kind of disappointing to not be able to do much all day, I really enjoyed every single second with my princess. I love our one-on-one time that we have SO much of. It's priceless.

For hours I sat on the floor in our living room or kitchen (wherever Brooke decided she wanted to be at the moment). I honestly stared at her for most of the time. I love the way her eyes illuminate every time she sees something that excites her. As a mother, I don't know that there's anything better than experiencing all of Brooke's new developments and interests with her. I love to try to figure out what she's thinking as she wears her many faces of being perplexed, happy, frustrated, confused, excited, etc...

The favorite parts of my day involved sitting underneath the kitchen table while Brooke played with the kitchen chairs, banging on a metal bowl with spoons (a wonderful toy that my sister taught me to concoct), and watching Brooke stand up all by herself for extensive periods of time. I don't think I could have enjoyed my day more if I had been doing adult activites! My little girl is great company and a fantastic source of entertainment.

I love our alone time, but it's so nice when I hear John waking up and coming down the stairs to join in on our fun. I know that he's an equal partner in our parenting and that he'll add some energy and excitement to what we're already doing. I'm so blessed to have him as Brooke's dad. He's amazing with her.. and I'm not just saying that!

So, when I was bored this morning and wondering how the heck I would spend my day, I had to remind myself that really, you don't need to do anything or go anywhere or spend any money to have a wonderful time. What really matters is WHO you spend your time with. My family is my everything and I cherish our boring, slow afternoons together. Nothing puts a smile on my face like John and Brooke do! It's such a great reminder that the best things in life are truly free.

No comments: