Saturday, May 17, 2008

ME? At A Garage Sale?

I have never liked garage sales. Just the thought of using something that someone else didn't want anymore sounds gross and awful to me. I'll admit, I can be sort of a snob about it. John really likes to go and look around so he coaxed me into going to this HUGE neighborhood garage sale. It was a gorgeous day out so I figured that I would at least enjoy the company and the weather.

I went to the garage sales with an opened mind today, putting all of my prior reservations aside. We decided that we would set out in search of an air conditioning until and a microwave stand (My microwave takes up too much counter space and we wanted an inexpensive solution until we buy a micro hood). Ironically enough, the first thing that we stumbled upon was a microwave cart. It's made of wood (that is almost identical to my kitchen cabinets) and it had a butcher block top on it. The price tag was still on the back that said it was $99 but the people were selling it for $30. We got them to go down to $25 so I am now the proud owner of the most PERFECT microwave cart! It fits great in my kitchen and it has allowed me to free up a TON of counter space

We continued on our journey of walking and looking. About an hour later we stumbled across a brand new air conditioning system that was still in the box. It was originally priced at $500 when the owner first bought it but they were asking $200 for it. We got them to sell it to us for $175!! It's a really nice Frigidaire system that is large enough to cool our entire upstairs. I am so excited about that good deal! It's so wonderfully ironic that we found the two things that we set out to buy.

So, have my feelings about garage sales changed? Yes and no. I don't think I'll ever be a hard core "yard saler." I think that most of the stuff that people are trying to get rid of is crap. It is the few rare finds, such as my microwave cart and air conditioning unit, that make it worth while. I'll give garage sales more credit in the future but I'm not rushing out the door to hit the next sale. Know what I mean?

John went back to work tonight and I am missing him SO bad right now:-( His days off were amazing than I could have ever hoped they would be and I really wish they didn't have to come to an end. I guess it's time to go hop into my cold, lonely, EMPTY bed:-( Goodnight!

No comments: