Tuesday, May 6, 2008

"Nurse"

Brooke has learned how to say "nurse" so she doesn't follow me around screaming and furious anymore... She now follows me around and screams "nurse" over and over again until I give in. Fun, huh? I have a Bebe Au Leit nursing cover that I keep in my diaper bag and lately she's been fishing it out and carrying it with her, while she demands to nurse. I've had to keep that thing tucked away because she is beside herself if she sees it. She can't seem to get the idea of nursing out of her head whenever it's in plain view.

I have 2 differing thoughts on this whole issue of insessant breastfeeding... 1, I feel like I should give in because this is just a time of change and adjustment. And really, let's face it, it's SO much easier to give in. On the other hand, I feel like she's too big to be nursing all day, every day. I'm fine nursing her before bed and in the mornings, which is what we were doing before we moved, but now it's kind of becoming overwhelming to me. It wouldn't bother me if I thought that she was really hungry or something, but it's definitely NOT hunger related. I try offering distractions, such as a snack or a drink of milk or water, but when my kid gets the idea of nursing in her head she doesn't give up until she gets just that. It honestly seems like I have a newborn baby again because she's up all night wanting to nurse on top of her unrelenting demands in the daytime.

Today I nursed her in the morning, after she woke up from her nap (because she was livid) and before bedtime. I could have nursed at least 5 or 6 other times if I had surrendered to her requests but my salvation today was that it was nice outside. Most of the time I just mentioned the word "outside" and she was content and distracted enough to stop asking to nurse. We went on three long walks today to avoid the constant breastfeeding! We'll definitely be getting a lot of exercise if this continues. Lol!

My mom reassured me by telling me that Brooke will be sleeping through the night and weaned before she goes off to college. Gee, thanks mom! Lol! I sure hope she's right! :-) Haha

2 comments:

rccalyn said...

Wow, I'm sure that's overwhelming! I remember Marissa doing the exact same thing. If you're hoping to wean her any time soon, then you can keep doing what you're doing - setting limits and distracting her. But if you don't mind nursing for a while, I'd say give it to her because I'd guess she needs it to transition still (we went to 19 months, only stopping when I made a choice to "offically" stop after a miscarriage + antibiotic, but she was close anyway). Since you only moved last week, it's very possible she still needs some more time to get used to things. But at this point, after 1, it's all up to you if you want to keep distracting and limiting, or give in. If it were me, I'd give in for a little while yet, unless you're really going nuts! Good luck!

rccalyn said...

Haha, sorry if I repeated myself :-P