Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all you fellow mamas out there! Motherhood is such an amazing gift that it really isn't necessary to have one measly day to celebrate it, but it's still nice to have a special day for recognition.

I am so blessed to have a wonderful mother that raised me to be the mom that I am today. If I didn't have her love and support I seriously don't know what I would do or where I would be. I've always loved and appreciated her, but ever since Brooke was born I have had a renewed appreciation for what a great mom she is. Now that I'm a mommy myself I'm more aware of the many sacrifices she made to care for my brother, sister, and me. I am so thankful for the wonderful example she set for me. I always look back on my childhood and remember her unending love and the way she worked so hard to make me happy.

I'm also thankful for my mother-in-law. On a day such as Mother's day, I am mindful of how blessed I am to have her in my life. I'm grateful for the great job she did in raising her son, but I am also amazed at her friendship, love and support. Few people can say they love their mother-in-law as much as I love mine!

John and Brooke went out of their way to make me feel very special today! John bought a beautiful card and signed it for Brooke. They also bought me an area rug to go in my living room. It's gorgeous! We have hardwood floors and I wanted something to warm up the room and the rug does just that.

Even though my family made me feel special and appreciated, the best gifts of the day were the simple exchanges between Brooke and me... The nursing sessions, the kisses, hugs, giggles, laughs, and smiles. I kept staring at her in awe today and I remembered how very lucky and blessed I am to be a mom, HER mom. Being a mother is the biggest privilege and responsibility that I could ever imagine and I feel so proud to bare the stripes of motherhood. There's just nothing better!

I gave Brooke a bath before bed and we were having such a great time. We were laughing and singing and she was splashing me like crazy! I heard her say "poo poo," which she always says before she poops. I just disregarded her because she had already gone once today and she rarely poops more than once in a day. I figured that I had misunderstood her. Besides, I never really thought that she would actually poop in the tub. A few minutes later, however, there was poop floating in my daughter's nice, warm, Shea butter bubble bath. It was absolutely disgusting. Ugh! I had John take care of her while I cleaned out the disgusting poop from the tub. It was everywhere and something about seeing it float all over triggered my gag reflex. I really thought I was going to lose my dinner! I guess I learned my lesson and next time I will believe Miss Brooke!

Well, it's time to get some rest now. I hope the rest of you mothers out there had a wonderful, relaxing day with your families and that you enjoyed the wonderful blessings of simply being a mommy!

2 comments:

alissa kay said...

Happy Mothers Day, Jillian! Sounds like you had a great day. I will be starting work at Sam's Club soon, so make sure you look for me when you come in, cuz I know you come in often!!! :)

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day!! It sounds like you had a nice relaxing day until the end. Sorry I haven't been on in awhile, blogger isn't at the top of my priorities right now, though I wish it was. Well, I hope you have a great day and hope to talk to you soon!