Thursday, May 8, 2008

Medical Mix Up!

I have a great story that I have to share. I thought about keeping it to to myself because some of the details are slightly personal but the more I think about it, it's just hilarious!

So, last Thursday I suspected that I had a UTI. Not only were we in the midst of moving, but my doctor was on vacation. I could have seen somebody else in her practice but they didn't have any appointments when I was available. To get myself taken care of I went to the walk in clinic. I told the nurse what was going on and it just seemed like a routine visit.

As I sat there waiting for the doctor to come in to see me I could hear the patient in the room next to me. She was telling the nurse that she thought she was pregnant and that she thought she had a UTI. I'm a very nosey person so I took great joy in the fact that I could hear all of her personal matters through the paper thing walls:-) Lol

The next thing I know, the dumb doctor is coming and saying, "So, I hear your period is 8 days late and you think that your pregnant?" She then continued to tell me that she would test my urine for pregnancy. Over and over again I kept reiterating to her that I did NOT think I was pregnant, I just thought I had a UTI. She looked kind of confused, even after I explained it to her. I told her that I was breastfeeding but I never even mentioned the word "pregnant" to her! Anyways, she excused herself and left the room. When she finally returned after like 10 minutes, she told me that she wasn't going to run my urine for pregnancy. I just assumed that realized that I truly didn't think I was pregnant.

When it all was said and done, it turns out that the girl in the room next to me was named Julianne. Ha! I can see how they would be confused because we have such similar names and we were both there for a UTI but we had 2 totally separate charts, so it seems like they would be able to differentiate between the 2 of us!

Now, back to the crappy doctor... After I told her 20 millions times that I was breastfeeding, she prescribed me an antibiotic for the UTI. I asked her repeatedly if it was safe for Brooke for me to take it and she said it was. When I went to the pharmacy to fill the prescription, in bold letters the medication information said "Do NOT take while breastfeeding." After calling my pharmacist and my doctor's office, I was told that it is absolutely NOT okay to take while nursing. I'm so thankful that I didn't take it. Holy cow! So, I had to wait for another medication to be called in and of course I had to purchase it all over again. Nice.

I was absolutely appalled at the lack of professionalism and poor medical judgement so I called the hospital's administrator. I explained the situation to her and she apologized and told me that she would have the doctor in charge of the walk-in clinic give me a call. So, the doctor called me yesterday and said, "Hi, Mrs. D., let me get this straight, you're pregnant and we're prescribed Cipro?" THEY STILL THOUGHT I WAS PREGNANT! Lol! I of course had to explain my story to them all over again. Those people are whacked! I'm seriously cracking up over this because I just don't know what else to do!

After a week of medicine and struggling with this stupid infection I still don't feel any better:-( I went back to MY doctor today and she said that the infection still looks pretty gross. She put me on more medication but if I'm not feeling better by the morning she wants me to go get an ultrasound done of my kidneys to make sure they're working properly. She said that antibiotics should clear up infections, especially when I've been on them for so long. I'm feeling kind of anxious about all of this. I always let my mind wander and trick me into thinking that I have something horrible wrong with me. I sure hope this all works out okay.

Alrighty, it's time for bed. I'm exhausted!

No comments: