Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Festivities

I had an amazing day today!! Brooke and I spent our morning doing all of our grocery shopping for the get-together that we had tonight. After that we went to pick out some flowers to plant in a few of our small flower beds (as a surprise for John). Before heading home, she and I then went out for a quick mother-daughter lunch, which was very fun. She makes good company, that little girl of mine! I was thrilled because she came home and slept for just under 2 hours, which gave me lots of time to cook, clean and get ready for our party. When she finally woke up we spent the rest of our afternoon planting flowers and playing outside. What a blast! Being a mom was the funnest today:-)

Tonight we threw our first party in our new home. We've had people for dinner and stuff but this was the first time we had a real bash. We hosted about 20 people for a cook out and it as great fun! We grilled hot dogs, hamburgers and Speidies and then I made all kinds of desserts (including my famous jello Pretzel salad). People graciously brought loads of food like chips, deviled eggs, macaroni salad, potato salad, baked beans and fruit salad so we were STUFFED before the night was over. It was wonderful to be able to have so many people over and not be crowded. People spread out on our large deck with our new patio furniture and then we all kind of floated in and out of the house. The kids played in the play room a lot and I was happy that they could have their own space. We wanted to open up our pool today but we didn't get around to it, which really stinks because that would have made the party even more perfect than it already was. Oh well!

As I mentioned earlier, I bought some flowers today. I was really disappointed in myself because I planted them in a box in front of our house and they just looked awkward. I wanted them to be perfect for John and even though he said they were pretty I think he was just lying to me. So, anyways, Patty took some time with me tonight and showed me exactly how to plant flowers and how to transplant some of my other flowers to make my flower beds look just perfect. She loves gardening and she's so knowledgeable so it was really, really nice to learn and be taught how to do things properly. After she and I were done working my flower beds looked SO nice and I was so very excited. I'm motivated to continue gardening now!!!!!! John has off tomorrow so we're hoping to buy more plants and keep landscaping our yard. There is so much to do still.

The weather today couldn't have been more perfect either! It was about 80 degrees and sunny all day long. I couldn't have planned it better!

I hope everyone else enjoyed their holiday as much as I did:-)

No comments: