Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Perplexed By Dandelions

Our yard is overrun by dandelions. HOLY COW! They have become my arch nemesis and my latest goal has been to destroy each and every one of them. They are just so ugly! We called Chem Lawn to see about getting some treatments on our yard to kill them all and it would have been almost $400 throughout the summer, $89 a month for 4 months. That seemed WICKED high to me, so our yard continues to be a playground for the dandelions.

I guess I just don't understand much about dandelions. Why can they withstand frost, inclement weather, and drought? Why are they so stubborn and resilient? My beautiful perennial flowers have to fight but these dumb weeds get to stay and flourish with no effort. I wonder why God would create something like a dandelion. Isn't that a weird concept to think about?

Our across the street neighbor (the one who brought us muffins and cookies last week) has the most beautiful yard ever. She was outside the other day so I asked her how she got her yard to be dandelion free. She said that it took years of cutting them at the roots one by one. So, every chance we get, John and I have been digging dandelions and their roots out of our massive yard. It's annoying and time consuming, but it's also addicting. Our recent afternoons have been spent outside obliterating dandelions. Brookie runs around and squats on her hands and knees, as if to mimic what I'm doing and we just have a grand old dandelion destroying party. She seems to support my mission of creating a pretty yard! Lol

I was preparing lunch today and I heard someone calling my name. On my porch was that neighbor who I talked to about the dandelions. She said, "I just wanted to let you know that I saw the tool you were using to dig up your dandelions and it's NOT a good tool. I'll bring you by a better one later and it will make your life so much easier. Okay honey?" I smiled politely and invited her in. She said she was busy and she quickly ran off. She then turned around as she was walking away and said, "And Jillian, children love to play with dandelions. Don't feel bad that you have so many of them." Ha! I love that old lady! She reminds me of Miss Clairee in the movie Steal Magnolias, which happens to my absolute favorite movie.

Our neighbor has the most beautiful perennial flower garden and she said that she's going to dig some flowers up and share them with us. I don't think I've ever met such nice and generous people before. I'm a stranger to her and she's done all of this to me. With her help and with the purchase of some new flowers, hopefully our yard will look pretty soon!

Okay, it's time to get the hubby off to work:-( I wish he didn't have to leave me! I'm VERY excited though because he has tomorrow night and Friday night off. YAY!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WoW! I was shocked when I saw the picture of Brooke in your last post. She has changed so much from the last pictures you put up! It must be neat, but also scary, to see her grow up right before your eyes! I know that you live in Sam's Club. Every day when I get home, my mom always asks me who I saw that I knew at work. And at least once a week your name would come up! Haha! Well thank you for waiting in my long line! I think people just know that I am so amazing that they all want to be in my line. Haha no just kidding! But I'll see you around soon! :)