Monday, May 5, 2008

Back To Life, Back To Reality

It's been a whole week since I've been able to get on the computer, which has seemed like an eternity! We had our internet installed last Thursday but they didn't hook it up properly so we had to wait until today for them to come back and fix it. So, anyways, here I am! I'm now reconnected with the real world!

Things are going well on our end! I'm not going to lie... The first couple of days were pretty awful. Between moving and getting settled, we also had a plethora of other minor inconveniences too... John's car had a flat tire, I had a UTI which required a trip to the doctor, and my car has been out of commission, due to some stupid service light that is preventing it from passing inspection. It just seems like it has been one thing after the other with us. In the midst of all of the chaos I seriously thought that I would lose my mind!! Thankfully we have so many people that have been right here helping us get everything done. We have the best family! They seriously kept me sane and we have lived to tell about our crazy, exhausting, stressful week.

The first couple of days in this house I was really sad. I just wanted to go "home." It didn't help that John's brother bought our house so we kept going back to it to clean things up or to get final things. It made me miss it so much! However, now that we're all settled in and everything is put away and organized, this is home! I can't imagine living anywhere else. This house suites our needs (and wants!) perfectly and I see us staying here for many years to come. We love our neighborhood too. Almost all of our neighbors have gone out of their way to introduce themselves to us and to make us feel welcome. One family even baked us a cake! It's so nice to live in that type of community! I feel so safe living in a quaint little village like this... Especially with John working the night shift.

We have 22 windows in our house and only 4 of them had any type of window treatment on them when we moved in. I was in disbelief! I didn't love the ones that the previous owner had up but I figured that they would be sufficient until we had the time to go get the ones we wanted. Nice of him to tell us that they weren't staying. Geeze! As I'm sure you can imagine, we've been curtain shopping all week. We've gotten our family room, dining room, 1/2 bathroom, and our bedroom done and we've already spent well over $200. Curtains are NOT cheap! John's aunt is an incredible seamstress who can make anything, and so John's mom asked her to help us. Of course she happily agreed to make us some curtains! She went with me to Wal Mart today and we bought some beautiful fabrics to do Brooke's room, our office, and Brooke's playroom. We got all that for $33! I was so happy. I wish I had thought to have her do the other ones before I went out and spent a fortune on them. Oh well.. Live and learn! When our last window is finally dressed I will be one very happy woman!

As for Brooke, she has been pretty miserable. This transition has been more difficult on her than I could have ever imagined. She fusses constantly, she's not sleeping well, all she wants to do is nurse, and she's just over all clingy and temperamental. If I try to put her down she arches her back and throws herself on the ground. Another thing that has been difficult is that she's not napping well. I feel like I have virtually NO time for myself. Frustrating! I'm really hoping that this is all just because she's unsettled and out of sorts and that in a couple of weeks I'll have my happy baby back. I love being her mommy, and that will never change, but this week has really exhausted me and frustrated me. I've tried so hard to make her my top priority, even despite the massive amount of work that I had to do, so I don't think that it's because she feels slighted or anything. I don't know... It's just so hard to be a happy, energetic mom when your baby is miserable and not sleeping well.

John had Saturday night and Sunday night and now it's back to work for him tonight:-( I wish he could stay... But he can't so I'm off to get him out the door. I long for the day when he doesn't have this dumb shift anymore!

1 comment:

rccalyn said...

I've been wondering when you'd get back to a computer! Sounds like you've had a crazy stressful week. But hopefully it's all going to get better from here! I'm surprised that Brooke is so affected by a move at this young age. When we moved when Marissa was 15-16 months, she didn't even blink differently. Lol. Just be patient, and let her tell you what she needs. If she just needs to nurse for 189 hours straight, then do it! Lol :-P