Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

Dear John,

Exactly 16 months ago from today you were "inducted" into the world of fatherhood. When I was pregnant with Brooke, I never had a doubt in my mind that you would love her, but the moment she was born, I instantly knew that you would be the best daddy you could possibly be to her. Between the pain, the numbness, and all of my emotions, I still managed to fall more in love with you that night because of the way you so gently and tenderly loved, sang to, and rocked our little girl. Life as we had known it completely changed that day.

The first couple of months with Brooke in our home required some adjustments... You were working crazy hours, I was wallowing over my C-Section "failure," and Brooke was so sick. However, you never wavered or let the pressures of our home life drag you down. You pressed on with courage, faithfulness, and devotion and you were truly the rock that our family needed. Looking back on it, I truly don't know how you remained so strong in the midst of it all.

As life with our little girl has continued, you have been a vital part of her growth and development. You're always present for the fun stuff like walks, going to the park, snacks, and bath time. You're always the first to sing a silly song, to wrestle with Brooke, and to be goofy. Although these things are important, what really touches me the most is how you're there when things aren't fun. I've never had to take Brooke for blood work, shots, or doctor visits without you by my side. I've never stayed up all night with a sick baby on my own because you always insist on helping me. You always make sure that you pray with Brooke, discipline Brooke, and help me in cleaning up her messes. I am so blessed because we have always been a team in raising Brooke and you have always sacrificed so much to help me in the ways that you do.

Each day I think of how lucky I am to have you. There are times when I am frazzled and exhausted as a mommy, but you are my constant motivator, encourager, and best friend that gets me out of my "slump." One simple hug or kiss or an "I love you" melts my heart and lets me know that everything will be okay.

Seeing you as a father to our baby girl has deepened my admiration for you. What you have with her is so special and I am so excited to watch your relationship with her evolve in the coming years. I can't wait to fill our house with babies because I know that you will be the most amazing father to whatever child God chooses to bless us with.

Thanks for all you do. There's not other person on the face of the planet that I would chose to be my partner in this life. Happy Father's Day to a truly amazing daddy!

With all my love,

Jillian

No comments: