Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Story Of Chipper

On Sunday I was approached by a girl at church who's mom was giving away puppies. I have never, EVER desired to have a dog but John has been asking me if we could get one for ages. With John's love of dogs in the back of my mind I considered taking the girl up on her offer, just because it would make him SO happy. However, I found out that the puppies were a mix of Pit Bull/Rottweiler and I thought that breed of dogs would be WAY too aggressive with a small baby in the house.

The story would have come to an end if I didn't come home and tell my husband about what I almost did. WHY WAS I SUCH AN IDIOT????????????????? He got really excited about began searching the papers. I told him that I really didn't think it was a good idea because of how very much I hate dogs but he adamantly insisted that he wanted one.

Yesterday we drove out to this Amish farm that was selling puppies. There we met Chipper. He was in the cage with his brothers (the two remaining puppies that hadn't found homes yet) and while they were rambunctious and crazy, he was sitting in the shade, patiently waiting for his turn to be given attention. Brooke was staring at the dogs in amazement and cracking up so she was instantly hooked. As soon as the Amish people let the dogs out of the cage Chipper came and sat at John's feet. I sat there talking to the Amish lady about her house, farm, fields, and way of life (which was VERY cool because I'm so intrigued with the Amish people). That was the only thing that made the trip worth while in my eyes.. NOT Chipper. We ended up deciding that we needed to talk the decision over and that we would give them a call later. We then left and went on our merry way. Chipper tried to follow us out to the car, which really tugged at John's heartstrings.

We stopped for lunch, not far from the Amish people's house, and John begged and pleaded with me to get that stupid dog. I said that I didn't want a dog because they are just an unnecessary, SMELLY hassle. He kind of put me on a guilt trip by saying that it was wrong of me to let him see the puppies if he couldn't get one. In a moment of weakness and stupidity, I told him he could get the dumb dog.

So, that's how this whole outlandish dog thing came about. Brooke's obsessed with him and she calls him "Chippa." The dogs is doing really well with potty training (we've only had one accident) and he didn't wake us up early or anything this morning. While I really don't like him (because I'm just NOT a dog person), it is reassuring to know that he'll be here in the middle of the night when I'm home all alone. That's the one perk of having this smelly creature that I'm dwelling on. I have to or I'll go insane.

I really think that having this dog is like having a baby. He has to be watched, given attention, and fed. I feel like we've extended so much energy into this little fur ball and the thought of having him for the next 10+ years kind of kills me. Oh my...

In fairness to Chipper, I will say that he's very pretty. Pictures will come soon!

No comments: