Thursday, June 5, 2008

To Brooke

Dear Brooke,

Exactly two years ago from today I found out that you were growing inside of me. I could have screamed because I was so overwhelmed with joy and extreme love for you. I think that that day was one of the happiest days of my life!

From that day on until you were born, I thought endlessly about little booties, receiving blankets, burp cloths (never knowing just HOW much I would need them after you arrived!), precious little baby clothes, diapers, and baby shampoo. All of those little novelties of having you seemed like so much fun to me! I would go in the room that eventually became your nursery and dream up what it would look like when daddy and I finished making it perfect for you. If you were a boy, daddy was going to put police cars in it. I'm happy you were a girl though:-)

As I look back on that day, I laugh at my naivety. I knew that you would be a lot of work, but I guess I never really knew just how MUCH work. I knew that there would be long nights, early mornings, sickness, and grumpiness, but the joy of being pregnant with you clouded my ability to really think about all of the sacrifice you would require. I knew that I wanted to be a great mom... the best mom ever, but I didn't know exactly what that meant.

Today, I am WELL aware of all of the work that you entail. Last night you were up, tossing and turning, between 11 and 2. I think your ear was hurting you and you kept whimpering. I just wanted to cry right along with you because you were pretty pitiful. I thought back to when you were in my belly and how warm, cozy, unharmed, and comfortable you must have been. I wanted so badly to be able to restore that "perfect place" for you again. I held you tightly and sang to you and prayed for you. I hope that my arms are the place where you feel the safest.

So, baby girl, I have decided that no matter how sick or grumpy you are that you are still the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me. Two years ago from today, our journey as mother and daughter was at it's inception, and now, we've covered a lot of ground together. You have taught me so much and I have loved nothing more than being your mama.

June 5Th will always be a special day of remembrance for me because it's a day that changed my world forever! I'm so happy that that baby that was in my belly was YOU and that you were made just the way that God wanted you. There's nobody like you, Brookie Girl!

I love you!
Mama

No comments: