Sunday, June 22, 2008

Wouldn't It Be Nice If We Were... Younger?

John and I started dating in the middle of my senior year of high school. He's three years older than me so he was going through college and all of that. I think that that summer after I graduated was the best summer of my life because he and I were just falling so crazily in love with one another. After only a few months of dating we knew we would spend the rest of our lives together and that first summer that we spent as a couple was just so amazing. It was carefree, exciting, adventurous, and it seemed like nothing in the universe mattered to us but one another at the time.

I'm a big fan of the Beach Boys and that summer John bought me their CD. One of my favorite songs, Wouldn't It Be Nice If We Were Older? was on there and I think I listened to it a million times that summer. I had always loved that song but it took on new meaning because it said just exactly what I was thinking and feeling at the time.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older
Then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together
In the kind of world where we belong

You know its gonna make it that much better
When we can say goodnight and stay together

Wouldn't it be nice if we could wake up
In the morning when the day is new
And after having spent the day together
Hold each other close the whole night through

The happy times together we've been spending
I wish that every kiss was never ending
Oh Wouldn't it be nice

Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray it might come true (run, run, run)
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do
We could be married (we could be married)
And then we'd be happy (then we'd be happy)

Wouldn't it be nice

You know it seems the more we talk about it
It only makes it worse to live without it
But lets talk about it
Oh, wouldn't it be nice


I know it sounds corny, but I heard that song today and it just took me back to that time in our relationship. You know... That time when there were no bills to pay, no really serious obligations or responsibilities on our plate, no police work, and no real worries to think about. I remember just dreaming of what it would be like to be John's wife and I couldn't imagine just how wonderful and amazing it would be when we were finally married. Ah, I miss those days of anticipation, innocence, stolen kisses, sneaking in late, and adventure. Those were some pretty incredible days.

That song hit me because this week is going to be a long one for John and me. On top of working tonight through Wednesday night, John will also have to work Tuesday at 7 P.M. (to testify in court for one of his cases) and then Wednesday morning at 11 for another case. The case is going to the grand jury so he'll probably be there a good while, which means he'll need to sleep for much of Wednesday evening. It's good money but STILL... The poor man has to have a life and SLEEP. I can handle all of those additional hours, but what I can't handle is not being able to sleep next to him. I waited my whole life for that and saved that for my husband and now that I'm married I don't even get to fall asleep next to him. My favorite song lied to me!!
:-( Lol

I am so happy and extremely content with where I am in life right now. As I remember that summer and how it felt to fall in love with John, I am reminded that things right now are a million times more amazing than they were at that point. Our love has withstood so many more tests and challenges than we could have ever dreamed, which has strengthen our relationship so much. Life is wonderful and I'm fulfilled but sometimes it's easy to think wouldn't it be nice if we were younger?

1 comment:

Tiff said...

You have read my mind with this post! I have been thinking the same things lately. We're so busy wanting to grow up and get married that we aren't enjoying the time then when it's all so new and exciting. I've also been thinking it recently after graduating and now my college days are over...I wish I wasn't in such a rush to graduate that I would've enjoyed it more. So I completely agree with what you said here.