Tuesday, January 15, 2008

11 Months Old!

I, the mother of a now 11-month-old, sit behind this computer tonight feeling COMPLETELY wiped out. Brooke has had a stomach bug so she was up all last night with diarrhea and she's been fussy and miserable today with MANY yucky diapers. She has had so much diarrhea that it has made her little bottom completely raw. I feel so sad for her!

Though she's sick and it's really no fun, I am reminded of how much of a privilege it is to be her mommy. These past 11 months have been filled with so much joy and happiness and the fact that I'm the one she wants and needs when she's sick is really just the icing on the cake. When I don't feel well or when I'm sad I still want my mom, believe it or not. When my mom hugs me or affirms me it feels SO good and I feel so much warmth. I like to think that when I hug Brooke that it feels as good to her as my mom's hug still feels to me.

I truly can't believe that next month I will be celebrating my baby's 1St birthday. Unbelievable! Where did the time go? I find myself thinking a lot about this time last year. I was 36 weeks pregnant and HUGE, still working at Red Lobster, going to birthing classes every Tuesday (up until the week I delivered because I'm a procrastinator), putting the finishing touches on the nursery, and eagerly awaiting the wonderful moment when I would get to meet my Brooke for the first time. It's so crazy to think how my life is nothing like that now. Now that Brooke is here, life is much more hectic but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the universe. Watching her blossom and being able to love on her constantly is the greatest blessing ever.

I am so thankful that God chose for Brooke to live in OUR home. He could have given her to a much more capable, God-honoring mother than myself, yet somehow she has been entrusted into my care. That is so humbling to me. So many people try for years and years to have a baby, but God gave Brooke to us and every time I look at her I reminded of just how lucky John and I are to have her.

Well, I'm off to try to get some rest before my little princess wakes up. Hopefully she sleeps well and her belly is all better tomorrow.

No comments: