Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A Preview of Spring!!!!

I woke up this morning to a beautiful, Spring-like day. I think the temperatures topped out just under 70. Can you believe it??? This is NEW YORK, for crying out loud. Warm days in the winter just don't happen that often. Needless to say, it was such a treat!

When John woke up we took Brooke to the park. We seriously had such a blast together! First we walked around the big loop at the park, with a stop at the swings for Brooke. She absolutely loved them!!! Then we went back to the car and got Brooke's walker and we let her push it around. She thought that was the coolest thing in the world until she realized that it was more fun to walk without it! So she took off and walked around the park until she found a pile of dirt, rocks, and leaves. She stopped in her tracks and then tried to sit down in that mess of things and I quickly attempted to grab her. John told me not to pick her up because every baby needs to get dirty sometimes. So, with much apprehension on both mommy and Brooke's part, Brookie played with the rocks and leaves. I cringed every time her shoes or pants got dirt on them, but luckily it all washed up okay! I just hate getting dirty! Here's a picture of her on the swings:



Brooke said a new word today!! She said, "banana." I was feeding her a banana as a snack and she looked at it and said, "nana." She kept saying it every time I gave her a bite so John and I were pretty confident that she really knew what she was saying.

It's funny because yesterday I was noting that Brooke wouldn't eat anything.. Well today she had a ton of refried beans and tomatoes for lunch, half a banana for a snack, an ENTIRE thing of pineapple/pear baby food and some rice for dinner, and then an entire container of YoBaby right before bed. I was shocked! Hopefully this means that we'll be able to get back on track with her eating now.

So, we have some MAJOR issues in dreamland. Here's the deal... Brooke had been sleeping like a champ in her crib. I think I even said that in my blog a few days ago. She was going to bed around 7:30 and waking at 4 in her crib. She was consistently doing this so I knew that I should really start working on putting her back in her crib when she woke up in the early morning. I was resolved to do that last night. I was totally planning on being exhausted all day today because of it too. Well, last night she went down at 7:30 and woke up at 9, 10, and 11. At 11 I nursed her and tried to put her down. She would fall completely asleep and then wake up and scream every single time I put her in her crib. Because she doesn't typically wake up I figured something was bothering her so I soothed her. I went through the motions of putting her back down SIX times to no avail. I eventually just gave up and put her in bed with me. I was so frazzled at that point that I didn't care.

I woke up this morning feeling slightly annoyed at my defeat but I figured that Brooke was just having an off night last night. I really didn't think that tonight would be an issue. WRONG! I put her down at 7 and she woke up at 8:30. I fed her because she fell asleep before nursing. Then at 9:15 she woke up screaming. John and I decided that she was totally happy all day so there most likely wasn't anything wrong with her. We also knew that she was full so there we saw no good reason to give in to her. She ended up crying until 10. John went in her room every 10 or so minutes and loved her, rubbed her back, sang to her and eventually she fell asleep on her own. I'm guessing that she'll be up again soon and if she does wake up, I don't know what to do. John's now gone for work and it's so hard to let her cry when I'm on my own.

If this non-sleeping continues I really don't know what I'll do. This is SO not like Brooke and it makes me wonder if there's any underlying reason for all of this. Hopefully tonight won't be too horrific!

Okay, I'm going to go try to fold some laundry and then HOPEFULLY enjoy a restful night of sleep. HA!

No comments: