Friday, January 18, 2008

Teething, And Fevers, And Strep Throat.. Oh my!

Last night my parents watched Brooke so John and I could go see a movie. We saw Juno, which was great! Anyways, we went to pick Brooke up and she had been sleeping. I picked her up to feed her and she was BURNING hot and shaking because she had such a high fever. I think her shakes were because she felt so cold but it really, really freaked me out. My mom said that she had been completely happy and silly the whole entire night so it had me really confused. I gave her medicine and when we got her home her fever was down to a little over 100.

She slept surprisingly well last night, though I didn't sleep much because I was constantly checking on her. At 6 this morning she was burning up again so I gave her Tylenol and she slept until almost 10:30 this morning. She woke up with another high fever and all she wanted to do was snuggle, nurse, and be still until after 12 o'clock.

Yesterday my nephew, Nathan was running a 103 degree fever so my sister took him to the doctor. The doctor said that it was most likely a virus going around and the fever would subside over the next few days. Alison and I use the same pediatrician so I assumed that it would be pointless to take Brooke in to be seen because the doctor would just repeat to me the same thing that he told her. When Nathan started running an almost 105 degree temperature this afternoon Ali took him back in and they discovered that he had strep throat. Poor little guy! The doctor said that he would just write Brookie a perspiration for the antibiotic that he gave Nathan because she had the same exact symptoms and they play together all the time. That was nice of him to save me trip to the doctor! So, both babies are now on the medication and hopefully tomorrow will be a new day for everyone!

I feel bad because I think that Brooke gave the strep throat to Nathan and not the other way around. She had the diarrhea way before he did and the doctor said that it is common to have that before strep throat symptoms start to show. She's still having running diapers and the medicine apparently causes diarrhea too so it seems
like we'll putting up with that for several more days to come. Poor kiddo!

To top this whole mess off... Brooke has another tooth coming in! I tell ya, when it rains it pours. It's her 3Rd tooth on the bottom, giving her a grand total of 7 teeth. She must feel awful with everything going on. She had some fussy times this afternoon but really, she hasn't been as fussy as one would suspect... And I'm definitely NOT complaining about that!

Today was John's day off and we had a bunch of errands to run but we decided that Brooke needed to be kept at home all day so she could rest up. While it was a long day, I was happy to be at home taking care of my baby girl that I love so, so much. John's company made the day pass quickly too.

Well, John's gotta go back to work tonight so I'm going to go make his lunch and rest with him for a while. I wish he didn't have to leave:-(

No comments: