Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I Found The Solution!

I think that I found a wonderful solution to our nursing difficulties!! I've been brainstorming and I came up with "scheduling" in an afternoon snack. I know it sounds simple but I really hadn't considered Brooke's incessant nursing as an issue of hunger... I truly thought it was all for comfort. So, anyways, now at around 1-2 (depending on when Brooke wakes up from her nap) I put her in her highchair and give her the opportunity to snack away. This girl can eat, too! For the last 2 days, snack time has consisted of an entire container of yogurt, a whole cup or juice or water, a hand full of Chex cereal, and some type of fruit. Crazy!

In the past I would try to catch Brooke when she was playing and feed her some crackers or little things throughout the day. She was always too busy to care. However, now that I am intentionally putting her in her highchair she is forced to slow down and focus on eating. I feel so happy because this is a major breakthrough for us!

Oddly enough, now that I am not nursing Brooke a million times during the afternoon, she is eating all manner of baby foods and table foods. She has this renewed interest in eating!! Phew! For a while there I thought she would nurse until she was 4! Lol! She ate lunch today (which she used to refuse), that huge snack, an entire container of baby food and some table food for dinner. Go Brookie!


It's funny because my new way of doing things takes a lot more time. It's so easy just to latch her on my breast and not have to hassle with bibs, highchairs, cups, spoons, and bowls. The truth is that my most treasured moments of the day are when she nurses. That seems like the only time during our crazy schedule that Brooke and I get to sit with one another and relax. Though that works for me and it would be easy to keep it that way, I really feel like this is what's best for my girl.

After church tonight John and I went to see the movie, Cloverfield. John loved it, but in my opinion, don't waste your time on it. It was awful and it had the worst ending in the history of all movies ever written. Trust me on this one! Anyways, Sarah came over and sat here with Brooke while she slept. I felt kind of guilt leaving her but she was asleep the entire time we were gone so it's not like I missed any important moments of her life. Even if she was awake, Aunt Sarah is completely capable of caring for her and giving her enough love.

We picked out our dining room table for our new house! I'm so excited. It's really gorgeous. It's made by Ashley, which is a reputable brand, so we feel confidant that it will last us for many, many years to come. It's a little bit more pricey but we decided to pay for quality. My favorite part about it is that it has a leaf in it so it can be perfect for our small family but it can expand to fit many people (around 10 or so) if we have a dinner party. I can't wait to have all of our family over! When we get settled we're going to have both sets of our parents over for a nice dinner. That's something we've been wanting to do but we haven't been able to in this house because our table is too small. Anyways, here's a picture. It doesn't do it justice!



Well, the night is still young! We got home at 9:15 so there's plenty of time left to relax with John. We taped all of our favorite shows so I think we're going to curl up on the couch with one another and enjoy them. Sounds like a fun time to me!

No comments: