Monday, July 16, 2007

Experimenting with Prunes

As I have previously said, Brooke LOVES her cereal. She's been really enjoying it and she absolutely devours it. She's been eating it for a month now and she hadn't been having problems with it backing her system up or anything until Saturday. She hadn't pooped for three days and she had been straining. When I went to change her diaper, I found that her bottom (sorry if this is too much information) had a small cut and it was bleeding every so slightly. When I put the pieces together, I figured that the cut was just from all of the straining. I called the doctor and they told me to give her a glycerin suppository to help her go. We fixed the problem, however, that whole incident has baffled me about the whole cereal feeding now.

I didn't want to stop Brooke's one solid feeding a day because she really had made so much progress in learning how to eat. I also didn't want to continue to give her something that would hurt her belly. I knew that oatmeal was lighter on the belly, but when I took Brooke off of the rice cereal to try oatmeal a few weeks ago, the reflux got worse again. Weird! Basically, I wanted Brooke to have the benefits of the cereal without the constipation it brings. A bunch of friends suggested that I try giving Brooke prunes to help keep her regular. I tried the prunes by themselves yesterday and she HATED them. She made the most funny faces (I got it on camera!) and literally gagged on them. Lol! Today I tried mixing the prunes with cereal and breast milk and she ate every bite I offered her. I was shocked! I'm thinking that if I give her prunes every couple of days then that should help things move more smoothly in her system. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Well I am off to do bath time and story time before Hell's Kitchen comes on. I get so excited every Monday night for that show. I'm sure suckered in!

No comments: