Thursday, July 19, 2007

False Alarm Doctor Visit

As I have been saying, Brooke hasn't been going to the bathroom regularly. She was a little extra fussy last night and I had to wonder if she was uncomfortable from being constipated. I called the doctor's office to see if I should give her another glycerin suppository. Wouldn't you know that they wanted to SEE her and they couldn't just answer my question. I knew that there wasn't anything majorly wrong with her, but they said that with her history of blood in her stool that it's better safe than sorry.

So, like any good mom would do, I followed doctor's orders and brought her in. It was John's day off so luckily he could go with me. As it turns out, she is totally fine. He said that babies who are breastfed tend to absord the majority of the milk's nutrients in their systems. He also said that many breastfed babies go through periods like this and that he's even seen babies go 12 days without having any problems as a result of not going. He said that her belly's not hard and it doesn't feel like any extra waste is hanging out in there. All that being said, my mind was definitely put at ease!

While we were there, we also talked about teething. He looked in her mouth and said that it didn't look like there was anything going on in there. I wonder when she'll get her first tooth. I'm in NO hurry for her to have teeth, for sure!

Finally he looked in her ears. Everything checked out well! I suppose that the extra bouts of fussiness are just caused by the fact that Brooke's a baby and she can cry whenever she feels like it! :-)

Other than Brooke's doctor visit, we have had a pretty slow, relaxing day. John goes back to work tomorrow so we've just been hanging out and he's been resting up.

I'm off to give the princess a bath. Thanks again SO MUCH ladies for the nice comments!!

1 comment:

alissa kay said...

I'm glad the kid is doing alright! :-)