Monday, July 9, 2007

Sleeping Struggles

These last few weeks, I'm not going to lie, have been rough. I have shed tears over the whole sleep issue because I'm SO frustrated. Brooke will sleep through the night for 8-10 hours if she is in our bed with us. She's always been a great little sleeper. However, in her crib is a different story. As of recently, she won't even nap in her crib, let alone spend the night in it.

I honestly sit in Brooke's room with her for sometimes up to an hour and nurse her, sing to her, and rock her. When I go to put her down, she automatically wakes up. If I try to calm her or soothe her by rubbing her back, she looks up at me and smiles with delight, thinking that it's time to play. I have tried putting her on her belly, which helps her sleep for maybe 10 minutes. I've tried playing her Womb Bear, which recreates the sounds that are made in the womb. I've tried putting familiar things in her crib that smell like me. Still.. all of these tactics have not helped us get anywhere.

I don't know that I necessarily feel that Brooke is old enough for the whole "cry-it-out" method. I haven't done enough research on it to gather a completely unbiased opinion. I can't imagine the thought of my kid screaming for me and me not rushing to fix the problem. I have heard amazing results from it though.

I am just SO lossed. Co-sleeping is great and we loved it in the beginning and we still love it now. However, I think that's important for us to start trying to acclimate Brooke to her crib and sleeping on her own. I honestly want what's best for her.

If anybody has learned anything along the way that has helped, please feel free to share it with me. I am so baffled right about now...

2 comments:

Alison said...

Sorry, I can't help - you know our situation :) I am also not a huge proponent of CIO and can't really recommend it! I have more the mentality to let her sleep where she sleeps best...

They are not going to be this small forever. They won't always need us as much as they do now. I'm trying to cherish every moment because I know that it'll all be gone in the blink of an eye.

You're a great mama!

rccalyn said...

Ugh, why is sleep such an issue! We still have problems now and then. We didn't regularly co-sleep with Marissa, but every once in a while, when nothing else worked, I kept her next to me at night, and it was wonderful! Well, wonderful for her - I could never get comfortable! I don't really have an answer for you, but I can sympathize! I also don't like CIO, and even now I don't think it would work for Marissa because I want her to understand what's happening, instead of just thinking that Mommy left and isn't coming back! I hope things get better for you soon! Remember, it doesn't last forever! At 10 months, Marissa had an awful stage that lasted literally months, where she just would NOT stay asleep. But now she sleeps 10-12 hours straight through every night. There is hope for you! :-)