Friday, February 15, 2008

Happy 1St Birthday, Brooke!

To My Dearest Daughter, Brooke

When you were first born, I looked at your precious little cone head and listened to you scream uncontrollably. Somehow it all seemed like a dream that you were really here and no longer resting safely in my belly. The longest half hour of my life passed when you were taken from me to be cleaned up. As I laid on the operating room table, I felt desperate to hold you, but finally, the nursed placed you in my arms. Together you and I struggled with your first nursing session, and before I knew it, you were eating contently and quietly. I knew right then and there that I was your mommy and that you were my baby. That defining moment was when the precious reality of you sank in. Now it seems unfathomable that you were ever not a part of our lives.

The first time we met


3 short days later, Daddy and I were able to take you home from the hospital. You seemed so tiny and fragile as I dressed you in your coming home outfit. At last we were in the car, headed to home to start our new life as a family of 3! You were so quiet the whole way home that Daddy and I even pulled over to make sure you were still breathing. Luckily for us, you were okay, just very sleepy!

In your coming home outfit


I'll never forget your first night home... You were sleeping in between Daddy and me so soundly. Both he and I were staring and you and admiring your beauty. I looked at Daddy and said, "Do you know what I'm thinking?" And he replied, "We're pretty lucky, aren't we?" Neither one of us could get over how amazingly blessed we were to have you. To this very moment I am still humbled at the thought of God giving you to US.

Your first night home


I can remember every milestone that you have conquered. The first time you rolled over I cried tears of joy and excitement for you. I called every single family member you have and bragged about your achievements. It's been that way with every little new development in your life... Your first smile, your first tooth, the first time you crawled, your first swim, the first day I put a big bow on top of your head, your first steps, your first words, the first time you ate rice cereal. The novelty of watching you grow and learn will never, ever get old. I love being the one who is accountable for remembering all of these adventures you stumble across and to be able to keep the story of your life.

One of our first attempts at rice cereal


You warmed up to the cereal quickly...


Some of your first smiles that we captured



There are times when I just stare at you in amazement. Sometimes people will ask me what's on my mind or what I'm thinking, but I tell them "nothing." What they don't know is that I'm dreaming for you. I look at you in wonder and I love to imagine what you'll be like as you grow, who you will become, and what interests you will have. Whoever you become and no matter how big you will one day grow, you will always be my little 8 pound, 4 ounce baby girl who I gave birth to. Part of me will never be able to look at you without seeing your "baby face."

Baby Face


When you were only 3 weeks old the doctors thought you might have leukemia. I remember it like yesterday...It was an unusually warm day in March when we got the sobering news. Daddy and I decided to take you to the park for a walk. I remember mourning over the horrifying possibility of losing you. As we walked around the park, I looked at Daddy and asked if we would ever see your first birthday. Well Princess, I am proud to say that today you are a healthy, thriving, walking, talking, silly little one year old. There is not a thing in the world wrong with you and I am so thankful to God for that. It is crazy to think that there was a time when I really thought that you wouldn't have been here for today.

My healthy, happy ONE YEAR OLD!


I'll admit that you are a lot of work and sometimes I get very sleepy while caring for you, but I wouldn't trade you or the work that is involved in being your mommy for anything in the universe. I love being the one to wipe your nose, change your diaper, kiss your boo boos, nurse you, bathe you, play with you and LOVE you. I have dreamed of being your mama my whole life and it's an honor to be the one to be responsible for you.

Your first year seems like it was the blink of an eye. I hardly remember what our life was like when you were a newborn. Now that you are entering your toddler years, I am excited to see what new adventures you and I will experience together. We are going to have so much fun!

Happy 1St Birthday Brookie! I couldn't be more proud of you if I tried. You are my world, you are my purpose, you are why I get up in the morning, you are my everything. Never, ever forget how much I love you and how much I want to be the best mom possible for you.

With all my love,

Mommy

Brooke and Mommy before the big party


Brookie and Daddy at the party



Brooke and Mommy


Our Little Family


Brooke enjoying her birthday petite fours


Brooke and Nathan unwrapping presents

5 comments:

Alison said...

Wow! I read through this entry with tears in my eyes! I hardly recognize that little baby anymore...what a big girl you have! Congratulations, mama, for making it through the first year of your little darling's life! You have grown and matured and I can't wait to see where life takes the 3 of you in the future! I love you both :)

Anonymous said...

Wow I know those precious words were meant for your sweet sweet little girl but I want to thank you for sharing. I read each word with tears in my eyes. You and John have been so blessed with Brookie but she has been equally blessed with such BEAUTIFUL parents. You can see the gleam in both of your eyes as you look at her and the return in her eyes as she looks up to both of you. Thank you for sharing all of her precious moments with us we can hardly wait to hear about a new thing she has done. We love all of you so very much.

Unknown said...

Hey Jillian! I have to say that I was very shocked to see you write a comment on my blog. It's the first one I've ever gotten! Anyways, thanks for the thoughts! It looks like you're finally living your dream. Your daughter is gorgeous, I'm so jealous! I myself can not wait to get married and have kids. I feel like college is a waste of my time right now, but I met Rob here so it's worth it I suppose! We'll have to keep in touch, I don't like how we left with each other last time. I always seem to see your dad everywhere and he's always so nice! I think we've both grown up and matured a lot since we've last talked to each other and I'd love it if we could put that behind both of us and be friends again! I miss your friendship, and all the guidance you would give me. Let me know what you think! I hope to hear from you soon!

alissa kay said...

Congratulations! Time flies when you're havin fun, huh! She is absolutely adorable and it looks like you guys had lots of fun at the party! :)

Unknown said...

Hey again! I'm so glad you feel the way I do! The unfortunate thing is that we can't really make up 3 1/2 years or catch up on. Thanks for your comment about college. You're completely right that I'm going to need something to fall back on after my kids are grown. My mom had a hard time with that. But anyways, I'm really glad you contacted me, I had been thinking about it myself. Especially when I heard you were married, and then when you had your daughter. I hated that we lost our friendship over something so silly. Well, keep in touch!