Monday, February 18, 2008

A Series Of Unfortunate Events

(And NO, I'm not talking about the movie!) Oh my, today's events have taken a horrible toll on our moving process. As you read this, keep in mind that we're supposed to move this Friday. Ready for this?? We went to do a walk through of the house we're buying and we walked in to see it totally TRASHED. When I say trashed I don't mean dirty, messy, or even unorganized, I mean totally and completely unlivable.

Let me explain... The kitchen had moldy food smothered all over the counter tops, the sink was overflowing with filthy dishes, the fridge was full of stinky, past date food, on the counter sat a bowl full of cereal and curdled milk, AND to top it off, the brand new stove was RUINED. I don't know how you ruin a stove in the span of a month but the whole top of it was completely charred and burned. Nice, huh?

So, as we continued to walk through the house we noticed that NONE of their stuff was gone besides the window treatments and their living room couches. Their Christmas tree was still up, there were plastic beads scattered liberally all throughout the house, and my favorite part... Almost ALL of the tan carpets were ruined from all of the crap being traipsed through the house. Some of the carpets had crayon markings all over them too. As if the afore mentioned things weren't horrible enough, they had clothes, dirty underwear, opened mail, dog food, coins, and food ALL OVER THE HOUSE. As I walked up the stairs there were Q-Tips on each step like someone had just thrown them all over the house. As I toured the master bedroom there was a USED pregnancy test in the middle of the floor, as well as an old sink. Yes, you read that correctly.. A SINK in the bedroom.

In addition to the house being anything BUT aesthetically pleasing, it smelled putrid. The nauseating smells of dog pee, moldy food, and filth crept in my nose and left me feeling sick.

As we ventured into the garage we discovered that it too was so packed with garbage that we could barely even walk in it. At every single turn of the house there was yet another thing to alarm us.

Our realtor was completely shocked and embarrassed. When we made an offer on this house it was immaculate and we never, in a million years, expected to see it in such disarray. My parents were also there because we wanted to show off our new house to them. Show off??? HA! Luckily for me they were the optimists in this situation and kept reassuring us that it would all work out.

Funny, I haven't even told you all the worst part. Brace yourselves... The owner of the house is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. Her lawyer and her realtor cannot get a hold of her. She won’t answer any phone calls whatsoever. So, even if we do end up deciding that we still want this filthy house, they aren't even sure if she'll show up to sign the papers, which will obviously leave us HOMELESS.

We don't know what to do because John's brother is still closing on this house on Friday, most likely. Though our contract says that the sale of our house is contingent on the purchase of another one, we could NEVER put him in a bind like that! Family is more important than the legal arrangements, in my opinion. He's getting married in 3 months and he needs to have a place to live! So, this is where this leaves John and me... 1, we could make concessions, meaning that we'll tell the lady that we want an "X" amount of money to repair the stove, clean the house, and fix the carpets. That would be owed to us at closing. HOWEVER, I guess she has no money so they tend to think that we'll be out of luck there. Our 2Nd option is that we can walk away and have nowhere to live. My parents and my sister have each offered us a place to stay until we figure things out. If we chose that we'll probably look for an apartment, unless the perfect house (AGAIN) shows up quickly.

So, we're frustrated, exhausted, and VERY disappointed. If you're thinking of us, please pray that God's will will be done because right now it's no looking to great.

3 comments:

rccalyn said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I can't even believe what happened to you! That's just ridiculous. You must be going out of your mind right now. I hope nothing happened to the lady...even if that would be a good reason for the state of her house! I hope you get things figured out soon!

Unknown said...

That is horrible what happened to the house!!! I can only imagine what's going through your head right now. Once you thought everything was in order...BAM! I don't know what I would do in that situation...Everything will work out, I know God wont let you be homeless!!!

Thanks for your words or encouragement! There is no job where you can truly relax all the time. Now I'm wising I enjoyed my younger days more! Now is the time when you realize why your parents tell you to not be in a rush to grow up. It has it's perks, but it's so tiring! And I'm sure being a mother must be a lot more work than a student so I don't know what I'm complaining about. So thanks again, and I hope your new home situation gets figured out quickly!

Anonymous said...

Oh my Jillian! I am so sorry this is all happening! We will be praying for you!! Lisa