Saturday, June 16, 2007

Attempting an Earlier Bedtime

When Brooke was very, very little, John was working from 3 in the afternoon until 11 at night. Most of the time he would get held up so he wouldn't be home until 12 or sometimes much later. I'm not sure how it happened, but we just kept Brooke on that weird schedule. She would doze off during the evenings and the beginning of the night, but she didn't fall completely asleep or go down for the night until around 12:30 or 1. She would then sleep until 10 or 11 the next morning.

Now John goes in at 11 at night. Because of that weird schedule, she goes to sleep around 11:30 so we can all spend time together before John goes to work. Again, she dozes off in the evenings and takes little naps, but 11:30 has been the normal time where she's wiped out. I didn't really see this as a problem because she sleeps until 7 in the mornings and then goes immediately back down until 9 or 10. Therefore I figured she was getting ample sleep.

I have been thinking though, that I should have Brooke's sleeping schedule the same no matter what John's schedule is. In July, schedules for the next 6 months will come out and for all we know, his shift could have been changed again. I can't giving her inconsistancy in her life. Babies, in my opinion, need to have somewhat of a regular schedule. I don't want to be neurotic about it, but there's definitely room for improvement. I feel like such a bad, selfish mother for allowing my differing schedules to conflict with what's best for Brooke.

Lately Brooke hasn't been cluster feeding right before bedtime like she used to in the previous months, so I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to try to fix a few things. Last night at about 9:20, I took her to her room and rocked, nursed, and sang to her for about 30 minutes. I then put her in her crib. She slept soundly in there for a whole 30 minutes. She woke up hungry... She has always had a hard time staying awake during her feedings, so she doesn't get enough to eat. Anyways, I then brought her into my bed and nursed her for a few more minutes. At 10:30, she was completely out for the night. I thought that that was a good thing! I had her down a whole hour earlier!

If I keep up with this will it get easier? Does anybody have any advice or insight on this matter? I just want to do what's best for my girl! I'm sure you all have been there and gone through these same issues. PLEASE GIVE ME TIPS AND POINTERS!!

1 comment:

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

I think moving it earlier by one hour at a time will work great. Better to do it more gradually and I think you're right to attempt this now...you will do fine! Just go with your instincts, that is the best advice I can give! :0)