Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day

As a little girl, my daddy was my hero. He was totally rapped around my finger and I thought he was the most important, special guy ever. I even had earrings that said "Daddy's Girl." That's a little dorky, I admit, but come on! I was young.

It's funny because now that I'm grown and I'm less naive, one would think that I would be able to see that my dad is really, when it comes down to it, just an ordinary man. However, to this very moment, I look at my dad with the same childlike feelings. If my dad says something, I believe it. A trained meteorologist could say it's supposed to rain, but if my dad looks at the radar and says that it's not going to rain, I believe HIM over the weather man. That is just one small example, to say the least. I call my dad when I have questions about things around the house, when I need to know where to find the cheapest gas prices or where the sales on groceries are. Mostly, though, I call my dad when I need reassurance because if my daddy says it's going to be ok, I believe him. I look to him when I need wisdom, prayer, friendship, and support. He is so special to me.

Today as I was watching Brooke and John together, I was overtaken by joy. I know that because John is such an amazing daddy, that hopefully he and Brooke will be the best of buddies even as she continues to grow. I know that she won't always think he's so cool, but I hope that she will always be able to crawl into her daddy's lap and know that she's safe, loved, protected, and accepted for who she is.

My daddy left my husband some big shoes to fill in the area of being a father. I am so proud of John for stepping up and being the wonderful father for Brooke that I was able to love as I was growing up, and even moreso today.

1 comment:

Alison said...

What a sweet post! I hope daddy reads this. They are very special.

I think Luke and John are doing a fantastic job of filling a dad's shoes set to daddy's standard. You can tell that they really love their kids and really love being dads!

I always enjoy reading your blog. Sorry it's been a while since I've commented - busy, busy!