Sunday, June 3, 2007

My Rantings on Breastfeeding

I've had this issue on my mind, but I decided to save it for an uneventful day (such as today) so I could call adequate attention to the matter!

So, somebody the other day told me that she never breastfed because it "didn't appeal to her." I have heard many excuses (or don't get me wrong, in some cases, legitimate reasonings) for not breastfeeding, such as "The baby wouldn't latch," or "I had an inadequate supply," or my favorite, "It was just too hard." Honestly, though, the lady that told me that it didn't appeal to her just baffled me COMPLETELY. What about providing the most natural, healthy, non-manufactured, and the most easily digested form of nutrition for your precious baby is not appealing? That is so far out there beyond my realm of thinking that I can't even fathom anyone thinking that. Why in the world would you not want to share the intimacy of having your baby nestled up against your chest, so dependent on YOU and solely you? Again, that boggles my mind how anyone could not want that. There are vast amounts of benefits to breastfeeding, and yes, it's hard in the first few days of your baby's life, but the rewards are priceless. To be honest, I don't love wearing a nursing bra and I don't love that it's so, so hard to leave her for even a little bit, but those are small sacrifices.

Besides, why would you think that formula feeding would be easier? I don't have to measure, warm up, and then wash out a bottle. If my baby gets hungry in the middle of the night, I don't have to go downstairs to get her a bottle. I don't have to waste senseless amounts of money on food for my baby, because God gave me the best food possible for her for FREE.

I know that I am very lucky because I get to stay home with my baby, therefore, breastfeeding is so much more doable for us. However, I have so much respect for those moms that go to work and pump during their lunch hour because they feel that strongly about breastfeeding and what it means for their baby.

There have been times when I have wanted to throw in the towel. I was not able to eat beef, soy, dairy, eggs, or nuts for three weeks because they thought Brooke had an allergy to something in my milk. For those three weeks I was starving, but I am so glad that I didn't allow any amount of complications to try to take the wonderful moments of breastfeeding away form us. I can't imagine it any other way!

Anyways, just thought I would write my thoughts and opinions down. I see so many mothers now a days just throwing in the towel or not even willing to give it a whirl and it frustrates me. As for me, I breastfeed and I plan on doing so for a quite a while, and I'm proud of that!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Nursing is one of God's most precious gifts given to mothers! I was very proud of you when you continued to nurse despite hardship. I'm glad things are working out for you!