Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Best Of Friends

My dad's been in Peru on a mission trip since last Tuesday so my mom has been in the need of some company. She had to watch Nathan for Ali and Luke tonight but I asked her to come over anyways. Once my mom and Nathan got here, Brooke was in heaven! She squealed with delight once she saw Nathan and she didn't stop laughing and smiling for the entire night!

We all went out to run some errands and Brooke and Nathan were in the back seat of the car holding hands, singing and laughing hysterically at one another. The real fun began, though, when we came home and put these kids in the tub. They were so unbelievably sweet together! Nathan wanted to help wash Brookie's hair and he rubbed her head with such love and gentleness. Meanwhile, Brooke kept leaning over to give him kisses. They splashed and splashed in the tub for what seemed like forever! Of course they carried on deep conversations with eachother too! I love listening to them banter amongst themselves because it's almost like they have this code language that only the two of them can understand! I seriously think I just sat there the whole night marveling over how much they love one another.

I love how Nathan looks how for Brooke like he does. Whenever he sees her juice cup he picks it up and says, "Brookie, Brookie" and then he runs over and puts it in her mouth. He also gets very concerned when her bow is missing! Both kids are highly interested in the big ribbons that sit on top of Brookie's head so often times it gets lost while they are playing together. Thank goodness for Nathan though because he always notifies me when the precious bow is missing. I then ask him where it is and almost 100 percent of the time he'll find it. He's so smart! Nathan also hugs and kisses Brooke and awful lot too. Sometimes we'll look over and he'll have his little arms wrapped around her neck. Mind you, Brooke doesn't always appreciate the affection, but it's still adorable to watch!

With any good friendship, though, there comes fighting! These 2 kiddos can sure get into some pretty rough arguments. Sometimes they don't like to share with another very well and that always creates a knock-down-drag-out-fight. On the other hand though, sometimes they surprise me by how well they share. I guess it just depends on what kind of mood they're in.

It's funny because before we knew Brooke's gender, I thought that having a little boy first would be ideal because I grew up with a big brother. Having a boy as my oldest child just seemed like the "perfect" family. When I found out that Brooke was a girl I was ELATED and I so incredibly happy, but I still kind of felt a little bit sad that she wouldn't have an older brother... If that makes sense to any of you? Anyways, I say that to say that I think (and hope) that Nathan will fill some of those roles in Brookie's life as they grow older. They are so much like brother and sister now and I really, really hope that they will just continue to be close as they grow.

I never had cousins growing up and I want that so badly for Brookie. The fun times that she and Nathan share are so special and I'm so happy that Brooke is blessed with a built-in play date!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww, that's so cute about Brooke and Nathan! I only have one cousin and haven't spoken to him since I don't even remember when. But I also had 2 older brothers. So I think Brooke has a pretty good deal goin on! Stories like that make me wish my sister lived closer. She lives in New Jersey now. Although I doubt she'll have kids. Well I'm not making much sense right now, If you read my blog for today you'll understand. I'll ttyl