Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Way To My Brookie's Belly

We have totally revamped the way we feed Brooke. For months this kid would eat NOTHING. I seriously don't even know how she sustained herself (other than nursing throughout the night). It was really frustrating because she refused 95% (or more!) of the solid foods we gave her.. Even though we kept reintroducing them and giving her plenty of time to get used to them.

I had her weaned off of baby food because I just assumed that she would be more interested in real foods. I was obviously wrong! So, at a loss of what to do, I brought back the baby foods. I was kind of leery about taking a step BACKWARDS, but hey, the important this to me is that my kid is properly noursished! Now that she's eating the baby food (and loving it, might I add!) she has sparked a new interest in solid foods. I had been giving her table food on her tray and hoping that she would eat it. Now what I'm doing differently is giving her a container of baby food with her dinner and I'm allowing that to be her main meal. That way any solid foods that she decides to eat are a bonus and I won't worry as much that she's not getting the vitamins and nutrients that she needs. It's funny because the second I put Brooke in her highchair she'll raise her hands up and say "all done!" I have to convince her otherwise, which I do by giving her her spoon. She really loves if she can feed her meal to herself so we prepare for a big mess and she does suprisingly well!

Now that Brooke is eating she's not waking up 5 million times in the middle of the night to nurse! Hooray!!!! Last night she slept almost 6 hours (which is an improvement). I seriously think that she just wasn't full because she wasn't getting enough foods during the day. Now that we're revisiting baby foods, she has a renewed interest in eating in general. Yay for us!

In other news, we went to our new house last night for my father-in-law to look it over. He knows all about house "stuff" so we brought him along for his opinion. According to him the hot water heater and furnace looked like they were about shot. The heat upstairs wasn't even working! So, we're working on getting a home inspector sometime this week so we can tell this guy what needs to be done in order for us to buy his house. I'm not really all that concerned about it because if work needs to be done it's this guy's responsibilty. We're happy with him just giving us money towards repairs and not actually fixing the things himself. We'll see!

Okay, Brooke's napping so it's time to be productive! Enjoy your weekend everyone!!

3 comments:

rccalyn said...

I have a friend out here who is still mainly nursing her 2+ year old girl. She didn't eat any solids til just the last few months, and even now, she mostly chews them up and then spits them out. So it's not completely abnormal! But I'm glad you guys found something that works right now. And as long as your nursing, it's easier to tell when she's missing those nutrients because she'll just keep waking up in the night to nurse! Lol. Plus you'll still have that assurance that she's getting at least SOME good nutrients. That was the one reason I doubted that weaning was the right thing to do at that particular time, because she was still pretty picky! But whatever works!

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

I'm so happy that you guys have found a house and it looks absolutely beautiful!!! I'm not sure if it is close to me or not but I hope so! :0) I miss you guys! Let's get together soon!

p.s. Your decorating personal assistant is here to help! :0) (not that you need decorating help...but you think you do!)

Unknown said...

Hey! It's exciting that you figured out the food issue. And it appears it sorted out the sleeping issue as well!! You can start getting some sleep now!