Wednesday, December 5, 2007

John and Jillian's Pierogie Kitchen

*Before you read this post, I would like make a disclaimer: As I sifted through recipes, the word "pierogie" was spelled various different ways. Because of that, I'm not sure how to properly spell the word. My usual theory is that if I can't use or spell a word properly then I won't use it all, however, I am going to have to make an exception in this case... Seeing as how my whole entire entry is about "pierogies." So, read on and excuse my possible spelling mistake. :-)

Let me just say that John and I had a BLAST making pierogies today! We were in the kitchen from 12 until after 2 making these stupid things but it was quality time that we spent with one another. John was so sweet because he was really into learning how to cook and it was so cute. He also made me laugh the whole entire time.

Making the dough for the pierogies was what I feared the most. However, it was simple to make. It was 4 simply ingredients... Eggs, flour, salt, and sour cream. We mixed it together and kneaded it then John rolled it out on some wax paper. After it was rolled thin we cut the dough into circles. When we went to remove the circles they were 100 percent stuck to the paper. We let it get too wet because we didn't continually flour it like we should have. We were so annoyed! So we had to totally remove it from the paper (causing us to lose some of our dough). After that, we just rolled the dough in small amounts at a time and it was a lot easier to work with that way. While John rolled and cut the dough, I stuffed and sealed the dough. I stuffed them with mashed potatoes that were made with garlic butter (that I made myself with minced garlic), milk, and LOTS of cheddar cheese.

After our pierogies were properly assembled we boiled them. I made sauce with minced garlic, butter, salt, pepper, and parsley. I poured it over the pierogies and then tasted our creation and I knew that all the work was worth it. They were so amazing (If I can brag for just a second)!!! When we brought them to church everyone else loved them too! We were so very proud of our creation.

Our kitchen looked like a hurricane hit it. It is not very big at all and every surface was either covered with butter, garlic, flour, or some sort of pot or pan. When we were done I didn't even know where to start in order to clean the disastrous mess up. It took us forever to get everything nice and clean again but it was definitely a small price to pay for such a fabulous meal!

The hardest part of our pierogie making was keeping Brooke happy while our hands were covered with dough and flour. For a while she sat in her high chair with some Kix to snack on and some wooden spoons to play with. Other than that she just roamed around and wreaked havoc on our house. I was rather proud of how nicely she entertained herself!

Though our pierogies turned out delicious, we don't think that we'll be making them again in the near future. If we make them too often they won't be a treat and besides, they were SO much work. I don't think that we're too extremely eager to go through all of that trouble quite so soon. So, until next time, our pierogie kitchen is CLOSED!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I just had your pierogies that were in the bowl in front with everything else. I didn't see your 'real' ones in the back of the kitchen.. oops! I was wondering why there wasn't any dough. :) However, you guys are still the best! ;)
-Chelsea