Saturday, December 22, 2007

Soupy Saturday

I love to make soup on Saturday afternoons. I usually go grocery shopping with my mom and sister in the morning, but that only keeps me occupied until about 11:30, so I have lots of other time to fill. I love making soup because my whole house smells wonderful and it's the perfect, easy dinner for a winter's night.

Today I made beef and vegetable soup with garlic, onions, tomatoes, carrots, green beans, corn, and potatoes. The broth was a combination of beef broth, canned diced tomatoes (with the juice, of course), and tomato paste, so it was rich, tangy, and hearty. I simmered it from about 12 until 4:30 and it was just perfect by the time I served it.

John loved my soup! In fact, he woke up and asked me what smelled so good. Of course I was very proud! Brooke ate a TON of my soup. She loved all of the veggies and they were so tender that she could chew them up just fine. I was shocked at how much she ate.

I made a HUGE pot of soup that could have easily fed 10 people (no exaggeration!) so I have 2 FULL plastic containers of this soup hanging out in my fridge. Though my soup is wonderful and all, I don't think that John and I will even make a small dent in it. We're awful with leftovers. I should really learn to cook for 2 (or 3) instead of 10 all of the time!

I also made corn muffins because they're John's favorite. I make mine with applesauce and they just melt in your mouth. We had them hot out of the oven and they were to die for me.

I'm starting to sound like those people on the cooking shows I watch. I'm obsessed with The Food Network. I really am. It's not even funny! I constantly have that channel on in my house. I like that it's clean and that Brooke won't pick up any bad words by listening to it. It's also such an enlightening channel. I've learned so much! It's pretty pitiful though because I watch so many cooking shows that I'm starting to catch some reruns. It didn't occur to me that cooking shows were ever reran. Now I know! :-)

Tonight is John's last night of work until Wednesday night!!!! He doesn't have to work Christmas or Christmas Eve. Imagine that! Cops never get holidays off. He didn't even request these days off, either. This was simply how his schedule worked out. Thank you God!

I'm off to go iron my clothes for church tomorrow and of course relax with my man! I hope you all are enjoying your weekend!

No comments: