Saturday, December 8, 2007

A Party, A Celebration, A Shopping Trip.. AND A Patridge in a Pear Tree

What busy day! I just don't even know where to begin. My day started at 7:30 this morning. I had to wake Brooke up and get her ready because she went to a Christmas party with John's parents this morning. John's dad adores her and wanted to take her to his work Christmas party, so I agreed to let her go. I was REALLY nervous because I hate being away from her, but she did great! I sent her with her yogurt and some snacks and she didn't even need to nurse when they brought her back to me. I was amazed at how well she did! She was with them from 9-12 and I have to say that it was so odd not having my little buddy along side me. I missed her so much and I decided that the baby-free life may be very convenient for running errands, but it's just not any fun!

At 12 I attended a surprise party for my daddy! Our church threw him a party to celebrate his 2 anniversaries... 1, he's now been in the ministry for 25 years. Amazing! And 2, it was his 10Th anniversary with our church. He was so surprised and we had a wonderful time with our church family. I'm so proud of my dad because he has accomplished so much in his ministry. God has really used to him in some pretty incredible ways and it's been so awesome to see God at work in his life.

After my dad's party I had to do some last minute birthday shopping for John. EVERY store we went in was jam packed. It was awful trying to park and then bundle up a baby and bring her our into the freezing cold. She was really a trooper though. I ended up getting John some nice things, but not without shoving people and forging through many crowds of shoppers.

A total stranger did an amazing act of kindness for me today. I'm still really touched that she did this. I was sitting in Target nursing Brooke and I mentioned to my sister-in-law, Sarah (who went with me), that I was thirsty. She offered to get me a drink but I told her that I would just wait. Anyways, there was this lady sitting at a table near us who was with her mom her tiny little baby. I saw her get up but I thought nothing of it. A few minutes later she plopped a bottle of water on the table and said, "I heard you say you were thirsty. I have a 2 year old at home and my baby is 3 months old and I've breastfed both of them. I know that nursing makes me thirsty, so from one breastfeeding mom to another, here's a nice cold bottle of water." Can you believe that???? Who, in this cruel, heartless world, does things like that for people anymore? I thanked her repeatedly and I wish that I had some way of contacting her again to thank her once more. That honestly made my busy, hectic, crazy shopping trip so much more enjoyable. My goal is to bless someone else in return. The next time I see a woman with a small baby or a fellow breastfeeding mommy, I'm going to make it a point to do something similar. That's the way it should be, after all!

One more thing about the VBAC I've been ranting about lately... Stacy (I hope I spelled your name right!), I totally agree with you about doctors being so opposed to VBACs. I did all of my prenatal care with Brooke through a midwife and I absolutely loved how they worked and how they treated me. I think that the main difference is that they understand the emotions that are involved with childbirth a whole lot more than most doctors, especially more than male doctors, of course. I also agree with you about giving birth being a natural thing that the body does. I hate that it becomes so medical or that people treat it like it's a disease or something.

OK, well, I'm off to go get some rest after this whirlwind of a day. I have some cute pictures of my princess in her Christmas dress today. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

She's not smiling for me here, but at least you can see her pretty dress that my dad bought for her. Doesn't she look like a Christmas tree??


Heading up the stairs...


I couldn't resist this picture. Too cute!

1 comment:

rccalyn said...

Your daughter is so cute! And she looks just like her mommy :-P When I was pregnant with Marissa, I used a regular doctor and delivered (mostly naturally) in a hospital. But with this one, I'm using midwives and delivering in a birth center - I'm so excited to see the difference!