Friday, April 25, 2008

I THINK I MIGHT FREAK OUT!!!!

Brooke slept great last night! She went down at 8 and didn't come into our bed until about 5 A.M. or so. I would have pushed for her to stay in her crib a little bit longer but I figured that she's getting over this bug so I wouldn't be too tough on her. So, into my bed she came. We drifted peacefully off to sleep together. My windows were open so I could hear the birds chirping and I could feel and smell the beautiful Spring air. As I was trying to fall back asleep I was envisioning the wonderful day ahead of us... Maybe we would go for a walk? Maybe to to the park for a picnic? I didn't really know, but I knew that we would spend it soaking up the wonderful weather.

At 7 A.M., however, I suddenly realized that my day would not be spent basking in the sun, like I had previously thought. I was rudely awakened by a warm splash on my face. I wasn't quite conscious yet, as I had been in a deep sleep, but I felt this
"substance" trickle into my ears, my hair, and all over my clothes. I then felt another splash, which landed all over my neck and then all down my shirt. Next, I heard Brooke crying, which is always something that causes me to wake up suddenly. I soon discovered that my daughter had thrown up ALL over me and all over my sheets and pillows. Luckily for Miss Brooke, she didn't have a drop of vomit on her. Lol! Isn't it funny how that works? Yes, I took a "bullet" for my daughter today. John doesn't get home until 7:30 so I couldn't jump in the shower so I gave Brooke a bath, in hopes that that would make her feel better. 20 LONG, nasty minutes later, John came home and I jumped in the shower IMMEDIATELY. There's nothing quite like being drenched in your baby's throw up.

After my shower Brookie was acting tired and hungry. Just as I have the other sick days this week, I nursed her haphazardly. 2 hours later we woke up and Brooke was happy and she had kept all of her milk down. Sounds pretty identical to Sunday and Wednesday, huh?

Because I am so very baffled by this bug (or whatever it is) I made her a doctor's appointment. This just didn't seem right to me. She's happy, energetic, sleeping well, eating about the same as usual, she no longer has diarrhea and she doesn't have a fever... Does THAT sound like a sick baby to you? So, I explained that to my doctor and he said that it does sound very odd. He listened very thoroughly to me and then he gave Brooke a physical exam to make sure she checked out okay. He said that everything looks normal and he wonders if she's just processing this bug differently than most babies do. He said that if this continues over the weekend that on Monday we're going to do some blood work and run some tests. He decided that he wanted to wait this out because if it's only a bug there's no sense in poking and prodding her. So, I'm happy about that decision. I'm hoping and praying that she won't throw up again. I feel awful for her and it's really got to be getting old for her. Poor baby!

So, please be thinking of us. Brookie needs prayers right now! As for me, I don't want to be selfish, but I'm feeling really stir-crazy and discouraged right now. I've pretty much been housebound the whole week and on top of that, I'm really concerned for my baby. I'm trying so hard to be a good mama but right now I'm kind of feeling like I want to have a meltdown!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey! That's so horrible about Brooke! I really hope nothing is wrong with her and not a repeat of her reflux days. And I was disappointed about not getting to see each other too! But I also had things going on with my family that weekend as well, and your sick baby, so there's always next time! Thanks for liking our pictures! Our favorite is the one where I'm behind him with my arms around him. That's the one that's going in the newspaper! Well, it's good to hear from you, and I sincerely hope Brooke gets better and you can get out of the house! Or maybe some fresh air would do her some good, so you both can get out! ttyl